Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a battery from Napa and the positive is long enough but not the negative so we put it on the side which I do not like I want it normal on the top its the right battery its for a 200 kia sportage 2.0liter so why is it that the negative is too short? is there any way I can extend it?

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
I found out that some of the after market battery's are a little taller than o e m.
Their maybe a spacer under the under the battery that needs to be taking out, one of mine had one and the other didn't.
Some solutions.>
some cable manufacturers sell extension cables that could added inline.
Buy a longer cable.
Relocate the the other end closer to the battery.

Just some thoughts.
Chief

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
+1 on the spacer, the replacement battery must be taller. Directly under the battery there should be a black plastic spacer shaped kind of like an 8. If you take that out your cable may reach.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Yes, they should.

Chief.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've never seen battery cables so short that a battery of approximately the right size will not fit. The usual problem would be the battery clamping system won't extend far enough if it's the wrong battery. In another post it's reported that the terminals won't fit properly; maybe it's entirely the wrong battery.

Some battery terminals are large plain posts with a slight taper to match the cables. Others are flat and are drilled to take the cables which bolt on. If this is the case, it can mean that the terminal positions are abnormal (i.e. one of your cables will be too short).

I once fitted a larger than usual battery to a small car. No worries, except that the clamping bolts were not long enough to swing over the battery; had to loosen completely and refit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts