Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...

New member, and I love the forum. I have a 2005 Kia Sorento with manual transmission. My question concerns the battery saver as advertised. I would assume (based on previous vehicles I've owned) that the battery saver feature would entail shutting off headlights etc. when the ignition key is turned off and removed. My vehicle works a tad bit different. When I shut off the ignition and remove the key with the headlights ON, the engine remains running, and will not shut off unless either the headlight switch is turned off or a door is opened. If the door is opened, the vehicle shuts off but the headlights remain on. This is a particularly annoying problem with a m/t vehicle - it idles so smooth and quiet that many times I inadvertantly "pop" the clutch while in gear (both embarrassing AND unsafe). Anyone else have this issue? I'm wondering if it's a problem or a poorly designed feature.

Other than that I love the vehicle and am quite pleased with my purchase decision. I do have the well documented problems with the flickering clock and the pass. side airbag light not shutting off with an occupant in the seat.

Thanks

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
That is absolutely not what it's supposed to do. I'd make an appointment with the dealer as soon as possible to get it looked at. It sound like you have a short that needs to be found, possibly in the junction box, ETACS, or wiring.

What it's supposed to do, is the lights should remain on after the key is removed, until a door opens. It should have no effect on the engine; when you turn the ignition off, the engine needs to shut off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks KiaMech for the reply and the reality check. I thought it would be something wiring related. I've further noticed that if you (ignition off) turn on the headlights the vehicle acts as if the key is in the "on" position. The engine doesn't start but the dash lights all come on, the fog lights come on (no headlights), radio on, fan on etc.

Hopefully the dealer can find the little gremlin within :alien:. Going Saturday for it's 3K oil change. I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I was going to ask if anything happened when you just turned on the headlights. Get it to the dealer, then come back and let us know what they found. Good Luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have an update to this quirky electrical glitch. It required two trips to the dealer, and two days of their master tech's. effort to pinpoint the problem. He traced it all the way back to the 4-pin light pigtail for the tow hitch. The service advisor said to me "whoever you had install this tow hitch made a mess of the harness" and apparently backfed the ignition circuit through the tail lights.

Strange comment, considering the tow hitch was on the vehicle when I bought it (brand new) but I'll take the high road here. No sense having my first experience with this dealer being a contentious one. The tow hitch install come to find out was subbed out by the dealer to a local vendor prior to my purchase.

Thanks all....and may all your wiring experiences be positive !!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
heh. i don't get that. Ive heard problems like these on other cars too..not just the sorento. sucks. I know some years of the sorento, while towing big loads and using the tow plug harness, if you go in reverse while plugged in a fuse breaks? i dunno. i think kiamech could fill you in more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what you mean, but the long and short of it is the vehicle has been repaired. There is a breakout pigtail with connector that is a part of the factory wiring harness, and a factory tow hitch assembly includes a simple wiring extension with trailer connector that plugs right into the harness. The outside vendor did not have this package, so they cut the harness connector off and started splicing wires back together, picking up an ignition feed in the process. That was how the service tech explained it to me - seems to make sense.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If it was new when you bought it it sounds like they farmed the job out. I bought a extension after market that plugged right into the factory harness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts