Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 sportage 4x4 has hit 113k miles and for 6 months I have been having problems. Up until now it has been running fine. June I replaced the alternator, and this week the battery. The battery & brake light flicker when I brake even after the new battery change. As far as I can tell I do not need brakes nor a battery. Could there be something draining my battery? Also, when I am at a stop light it seems to idle rough then once I accelerate it runs smooth again. This is something new. We have done tune ups and all of the usual maintenance ritually. Please help. I need my Sportage to keep running.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Might be multiple problems.

Brake light: check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder. If it's below "FULL" then add some brake fluid until full. That should fix the "brake" light.

Battery light: If you are positive that the battery and alternator are in good shape then this may be caused by what you describe as "rough idle". Is the idle below approx 750 RPM? If yes do you also get a "check engine" light either intermittent or continuous? The rough or low idle might be caused by a dirty IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. It's located on the aluminum intake pipe roughly over the exhaust cam. It has an electrical connector facing straight up. Remove the 2 screws and pull it from the intake pipe. Spray carb cleaner into both ports. Allow to dry several minutes then install. This should fix your low idle problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts