Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

well i have a 2012 kia sportage... really quick this is my problem, i installed a car audio equipment ( pioneer speakers on each door, 2 amplifiers, a pioner Dvd radio, 2 subwoofers , and 2 headrest dvds ) a lot of equipment.

Now my problem is that theres fuse on the positive terminal of the battery that keeps blowing, i replace it twice and still i have the same issue. Because of this my battery just last like 2 hours and then it dies. i went to the dealer and they explains me that this fuse is connected to the distributor and if this fuse is not working then the distributor would not charge the battery.

Now i get this, so this is mi concer. Each fuse cost 130 dollar ( manufacters fuse ) on the dealership. so i went to a electronic store and bought a 150 amp fuse, a fuse holder , and some #4 wires.

I conected this fuse as a bridge and so this would be acting like the manufactures fuse thats attached to the terminal itself.

But if i start turning the volume up on my car , one of the ends of the fuse holder starts to melt.

so i dont know what the problem is can some one halep me on this?

attached you will find a pic of the instalation. feel free to ask

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
hi all,

well i have a 2012 kia sportage... Really quick this is my problem, i installed a car audio equipment ( pioneer speakers on each door, 2 amplifiers, a pioner dvd radio, 2 subwoofers , and 2 headrest dvds ) a lot of equipment.

Now my problem is that theres fuse on the positive terminal of the battery that keeps blowing, i replace it twice and still i have the same issue. Because of this my battery just last like 2 hours and then it dies. I went to the dealer and they explains me that this fuse is connected to the distributor and if this fuse is not working then the distributor would not charge the battery.

Now i get this, so this is mi concer. Each fuse cost 130 dollar ( manufacters fuse ) on the dealership. So i went to a electronic store and bought a 150 amp fuse, a fuse holder , and some #4 wires.

I conected this fuse as a bridge and so this would be acting like the manufactures fuse thats attached to the terminal itself.

But if i start turning the volume up on my car , one of the ends of the fuse holder starts to melt.

So i dont know what the problem is can some one halep me on this?

Attached you will find a pic of the instalation. Feel free to ask
^ voided (or at least compromised) warranty :(

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,007 Posts
I love these tales.........

Reactions: Amberanneliese

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
Here are my thoughts:

First off, that fuse is more likely to be for your alternator, not your distributor as these cars have electronic ignition, and I don't see why you'd ever need a fuse for a distributor.

Second point, you're likely trying to pull more amps than that circuit can handle, thus you keep blowing the fuse. It could be a safety factor so you don't overdraw from the alternator? Either way, I think the only way to fix this is to add another alternator, or reduce the wattage/amperage being pulled by your amp.

I am running a 400 watt RMS 5 channel amp that only has 2 30 amp fuses, thus I am well below the 150 amp threshold of that fuse you keep blowing. Might be worth reducing your system?

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX
177 Posts
What's the amp rating for the stock fuse? Is your new fuse holder rated for 150A?

How quickly did the fuses blow? Instantly or over time? I would reduce your power consumption and see how long your fuses last.

Why did you replace the stock fuse twice without changing anything with your system? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sportage 150A fuse

I have a 2011 Sportage and have a similar Problem.
I installed my Amp about a year ago on the Alternator side of the Fuse thinking this was a good thing.
This is a bad thing - It took about a year to blow, and the alternator can no longer charge the battery. I was told this draw is too heavy,
and should be connected directly to the battery side terminal bolt, with the appropriate fuses protecting the Amp supply.

Once your battery starts failing its like a Poltegiest in the car ! Everything begins to fail including power steering !!

My problem is I'm unable to find a factroy replacement fuse block for the 2011
I am currently just running a common 150A slow blow mega fuse in a similar fashion while KIA try to figure out the replacement part number.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts