Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kia ceed strike 10 plate 3 yrs old i was wondering if the battery comes under the 7 yr warranty as I can seem to find the info from anyone my local Kia dealer states battery only got a 2 yr warranty

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Nobody will warranty a battery for 7 years. 3 to 4 years is normal life.

My last battery only lasted 18 months but was replaced when it failed. Warranty continues until the original 2 year warranty expires.

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 2 1.6 CRDi (113)
182 Posts
If your battery is like mine you should beable to top the distilled water up on it, bit late now I suppose but if your new one can be topped up on occasion this will help to keep it tip top.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
If your battery is like mine you should be able to top the distilled water up on it, bit late now I suppose but if your new one can be topped up on occasion this will help to keep it tip top.
Most batteries are sealed these days and you have to hope that the system works. In my experience, sealed batteries don't last as long as a good old-style battery.

I actually prefer top-up to sealed. And BTW, you have to do it more than occasionally. It's usually demineralised water now, rather than distilled.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Most batteries are sealed these days and you have to hope that the system works. In my experience, sealed batteries don't last as long as a good old-style battery.

I actually prefer top-up to sealed. And BTW, you have to do it more than occasionally. It's usually demineralised water now, rather than distilled.
I have been topping mine up with distilled for 3 years and it's still going strong, once every few months has seen me alright. Would be sod's law now it will start dying. Touch wood, it keeps going strong for a while longer yet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have just put a litre of 'D' water into my batteries 6 compartments, I must admit I haven't checked it for possibly longer than I should have but the cells were still wet so touch wood I haven't left it too long.

For all of you that have a battery that can be topped up I say go and check now.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I have just put a litre of 'D' water into my batteries 6 compartments, I must admit I haven't checked it for possibly longer than I should have but the cells were still wet so touch wood I haven't left it too long.

For all of you that have a battery that can be topped up I say go and check now.
One Litre? Hard to believe that cells were still wet, they almost certainly wouldn't have been covered. I have a small wash-bottle (laboratory type) and I'd say that I add about 250 ml when I top up.

For those who are interested, Demineralised water is produced using an ion-exchange column, while Distilled water comes from traditional heating/condensation. Both these are relatively expensive processes, and purified water is mostly from Reverse Osmosis these days. Although there are scientifically impeccable reasons for the name, RO is just ultra-filtration under pressure.

·
Registered
182 Posts
One Litre? Hard to believe that cells were still wet, they almost certainly wouldn't have been covered. I have a small wash-bottle (laboratory type) and I'd say that I add about 250 ml when I top up.

For those who are interested, Demineralised water is produced using an ion-exchange column, while Distilled water comes from traditional heating/condensation. Both these are relatively expensive processes, and purified water is mostly from Reverse Osmosis these days. Although there are scientifically impeccable reasons for the name, RO is just ultra-filtration under pressure.
Yes 1 litre, I couldn't believe it, the cells were still wet just not fully to the top, each cell took a good 100ml before they were covered I just filled to not far off the top of the battery, I thought I might aswel use the litre up. Time will tell on how long it lasts, but as i've said it's 3 years old already so I wont be to gutted if it dies in the near future. I was kicking myself I hadn't checked it sooner. I will be going to buy 5 litres very soon so I can check more often :)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes 1 litre, I couldn't believe it, the cells were still wet just not fully to the top, each cell took a good 100ml before they were covered I just filled to not far off the top of the battery, I thought I might as well use the litre up.
There's usually something to indicate when the level is correct; some batteries have a plastic lip which changes the appearance of the electrolyte surface (meniscus) as you add. You don't want to over-fill; need to leave space for heat expansion and bubbling on charge. If you've added a lot of water, you might need to check the battery cradle for signs of overflow.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There's usually something to indicate when the level is correct; some batteries have a plastic lip which changes the appearance of the electrolyte surface (meniscus) as you add. You don't want to over-fill; need to leave space for heat expansion and bubbling on charge. If you've added a lot of water, you might need to check the battery cradle for signs of overflow.
There is room for expansion, so all good there. Just have to wait and see how long it lasts for. I will post when it dies (hopefully a long time yet)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX FWD v6
57 Posts
I thought all auto batteries are sealed and need not be topped off. After reading the above, I will check my 2013 Sorento's battery. Thank you. This is what makes the forum so good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My battery isn't sealed, it has two lids on either side of the battery with 3 holes to top up battery with distilled water. It is still going strong and car is 5 years old in March.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Years ago batteries always seemed to have about a 4 year life in my cars but over the past 20 years things have improved greatly. Last battery I replaced was in about 1995 and that was 6 years old at the time. One of our cars is now over 7 years old and still has the original battery on it.

The last battery I had with removable caps to enable filling with distilled water was on a 1986 Mini, still have the bottle of water in the garage sitting on the shelf never to be used again.

Don't forget that all cars fitted with stop/start, ISG (or whatever you want to call it) have special batteries to deal with the extra loads and special alternators. These are normally AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries and this is a brief description of them:

"AGM batteries differ from flooded lead acid batteries in that the electrolyte is held in the glass mats, as opposed to freely flooding the plates. Very thin glass fibres are woven into a mat to increase surface area enough to hold sufficient electrolyte on the cells for their lifetime. The fibres that compose the fine glass mat do not absorb nor are they affected by the acidic electrolyte. These mats are wrung out 2–5% after being soaked in acids, prior to manufacture completion and sealing."

Start adding electrolyte to one of those and you could well have an explosion with devastating personal consequences.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts