Kia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
127 Posts
Here when I replace a battery I get the Walmart EVERSTART Battery. They have a 3 Year Replacement warranty (not pro rated!!) + 2 more years pro rated. You have 3 years of confidence and cost nothing if its bad. I haven't had once fail that lasted a full year they keep going. Here winter is the real test and they're all high CCA rated in their classes.
In the usa walmart has not had in stock for a long time. I ended up buying a NAPA The Legend Premium AGM Battery BCI No. 94R 800 A AGM about 2 months ago. So far so good, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,432 Posts
I see it just that I gravitate to ones offering a rock solid warrantee. Replacement upon defective to be specific as pro rated means nothing.

Good luck, yeah shortages on a lot of stuff out there.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
2,062 Posts
That would mean it would take a lot longer to bring up a half charged AGM than a Lead Acid which accepts higher current input. Should be backwards compatible system then.

I have specific chargers for my Lithium and NiMH AA & AAA cells and their determining for type is voltage sensed.
If by that, you mean an AGM capable charger can handle an old school flooded lead acid, then yes, but understand that these days, most AGM capable chargers are also configurable for the old flooded lead acid style as well, so you usually don't have any extra time required for the latter.

Yes, the charging profile for lithium and NiMH are totally different! Definitely not good to mix and match those. You can get away with cross-charging the old NiCd in a decent NiMH charger since the methods are almost exactly the same.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,432 Posts
I was referring to the Alternator charger regulator wherever they're putting it. It doesn't have to be in the alternator as I found out in my Jeep Grand Cherokee it was in the ECU not the alternator. The smart algorithms chips would need space and likely a more hospitable environment. Very hot alternator would not likely do making replacements costly if within.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,178 Posts
Just as an aside -
Willing to bet most people don't yet own a charger that will correctly charge an AGM battery (which is what we all have in this forum). AGM does not appreciate the higher charge current that is typically delivered to an old style lead-acid battery.
Well, you'd be wrong in my case. I bought my battery charger specifically because it handles AGM batteries.
Thats overkill, high current will eventually boil the cells gasing them. I use a Noco G1100 which does take a long time on a big auto battery. But perfect for ATV/SxS and Lawn batteries. Its a 6 or 7 stager charger and works pretty good. I think the stopped making the G3500 which are duds, had two and both were useless. Returned but other company's are making the same type now.
It's only overkill if it doesn't intelligently do the charge and taper the current as required. Also, I'm not sure I see how 15 amps is "high current" as after starting I'm sure the alternator is charging at at least that rate.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,432 Posts
True, it all boils down to how smart it is in sensing the state of the battery. I found out over many recent years I don't need a high current charger. I had one I built which I could easily push 15A and more into any battery and observer that it would start to boil if above a charge level not very low. My smart 1.1A Genius does a much better job then the 10A Canadian Tire Automatic charger which tapers down a lot as the voltage comes up. It only really works on a battery in good condition. Older ones are improved by the my smart charger to a degree every time used as it also does some desulphating in one of the steps. It also ensure not to gas any battery including the small ATV AGM I have it to charge as well.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,263 Posts
My battery chargers/maintainers are all 1.5 to 2.5A which is more than enough to maintain my vehicles batteries taking into account the continuous draw from things like alarm systems ect.

Only one of mine are suited for AGM, but there's a few on the market that can do both AGM and FLA.

Having a higher charging capacity is no issue as long as its within the batteries specified max rate, but I don't need to pay extra for that capacity.
If I do find a battery that's too low to start a vehicle, I'll use my NOCO jump start pack.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,432 Posts
That Jump pack is useless in Canada. A ton of test don't at subzero pack and battery they just shutdown and do nothing. Fine for summer is all.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
2,062 Posts
That Jump pack is useless in Canada. A ton of test don't at subzero pack and battery they just shutdown and do nothing. Fine for summer is all.
NOCO makes a HUGE range of jumpstarting products. Without knowing which one Ron has, you're really ready to say his won't work on a cold Canadian morning??? They make models for starting a 6.7L Cummins diesel at subzero.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,432 Posts
Entry one GB40 !!

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,432 Posts
I woke up to -24C today. Still -21C now and I went to the 2015 Sorento to start with its original battery. Well it started and I did it with a dead fob (part of the testing procedure as in another thread). I turned pretty good so I am pleased as I was thinking of replacing it before the winter. No need...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My battery chargers/maintainers are all 1.5 to 2.5A which is more than enough to maintain my vehicles batteries taking into account the continuous draw from things like alarm systems ect.

Only one of mine are suited for AGM, but there's a few on the market that can do both AGM and FLA.

Having a higher charging capacity is no issue as long as its within the batteries specified max rate, but I don't need to pay extra for that capacity.
If I do find a battery that's too low to start a vehicle, I'll use my NOCO jump start pack.
I don't actually have the charger to "maintain" the battery as I personally haven't see that issue coming up. I've never had to do a float charge on car batteries as they get driven enough to maintain the charge. However, in the event that I have to actually charge the battery because something got left on, I'd like it to charge at more than a 2 amp rate. :D

The only exception was when we had ATV's and a boat at our vacation house, then I had a timed float charger that would give them a one hour kick a day, just enough to insure the batteries were ready when we needed them.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,432 Posts
A typical smart chargers will bring up the battery through specific step, not overcharge and just monitor until the voltage drops. Can be left on indefinitely. Old style automatic chargers are always kicking back in and may not be good for the battery that was charged by it left for the long time of weeks or months.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,432 Posts
FYI on some rated Smart Chargers. I notice an afore mentioned B & D model. I stand corrected as its a pretty good unit despite the very high current abilities.
I'd also say from experience the Noco G3500 is one to stay away from. I had two of them or which both went faulty and in one case it discharged my battery to a dead level. LOL Quite contradictory to its purpose and other times just didn't do a good job. I took them both back. It also generates horribly high EMI/RFI preventing me from listening to my FM garage stereo while its plugged in to charge!!! They know about it and by design. Fist down on the G3500 model.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
2,062 Posts
It also generates horribly high EMI/RFI preventing me from listening to my FM garage stereo while its plugged in to charge!!! They know about it and by design.
Was just looking at the manual for that model, and was interested to note that their is no mention of radiated emissions testing, no declaration of conformity, not even so much as a declaration of self-certification. Just about anything plugged into mains power with a processor of any speed at all has to be checked for conducted emissions as well.

FCC grantee search turns up nothing for them.

Makes you wonder if they even understood that it was necessary.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,432 Posts
Was just looking at the manual for that model, and was interested to note that their is no mention of radiated emissions testing, no declaration of conformity, not even so much as a declaration of self-certification. Just about anything plugged into mains power with a processor of any speed at all has to be checked for conducted emissions as well.

FCC grantee search turns up nothing for them.

Makes you wonder if they even understood that it was necessary.
When I experienced it and isolated the source I complained in a phone call. They new about it but that was about it. The G1100 I also have 2 of are the best all be it slow for Auto batteries. EMI is much less and stronger stations not affect too much. I use these smaller ones on every battery I have in something.

I don't need boost ability nor high current charge as mostly used on U1 and smaller batteries. Its the only one I can vouche for. Given the G3500 issues I expect the bigger very expensive ones would be the same issue. I'd look elsewhere for anything more. I noted in a review that B & D the user said to change anything you have to unplug it every time as it cannot be changed until its plug back in. I don't think I'd want that. Clips were cheap breaking off as well. Hmmm oh well. Research reveals issue on many.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I looked at a number of chargers before I selected the B&D charger. I also read a bunch of reviews on various sites. My goal was a "one size fits all" charger that would do multiple battery types, including the newer AGM batteries. It also does a really good job on all the smaller sealed lead/acid batteries used in my UPS and alarm systems. I've only used it a couple of times, but it's worked well when called on. I'll be connecting it soon, I use it to do my Sorento Nav updates. I can't see running the car for half an hour to do the upgrade, I just pop the charger on and turn the ignition on. That worked well last time, and it'll be done again, just waiting for it to be a bit warmer outside. I woke up this morning to 8F (-13C) temperatures, for this area, that's REALLY cold! :D

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,432 Posts
What would a person have meant where you have to unplug it before you can make a change in it. Is it the charge mode/rate or something else? One buyer had the plastic insulation break off the clip end right away. Not supprising if force was applied as they're all plastic shields over them

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I never disconnected it to change settings, don't know what he was talking about. As far as the plastic on the clips, they look like most others, and I'm sure they could be broken, but I don't think that's unique to this make or model.

You do have to remember that some of the reviews are by idiots that can't tie their shoelaces without assistance. ;) Whenever I need a laugh, I go to Amazon and read some of the reviews there. :D

41 - 60 of 62 Posts