Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,263 Posts
I've gotten 4 years each time. I'm on my 3rd battery. I always use the recommended size. With Covid this last 18 months and being retired, I had a flat battery at least 3 times due to lack of use (we ran the hybrid) and I'm not sure if that will shorten the life or not. As someone else posted, when they die, they die. I guess I should get some sort of emergency jumper for it. It's not really needed anymore as my plug-in hybrid gets tons more mileage, but it is like a new car; always garaged, always kept clean, no dents, only 80K, changed the timing belt at 60K, new Michelin all around, never smoked in, etc. I'm thinking I may give it to my grandson but the MPG isn't the greatest compared to more modern cars.
Just a single deep discharge event can kill a car battery, so although it may appear healthy showing fully charged, it might no be able to deliver the Cold Cranking Amps, so best you get it load tested.

Reactions: ecanderson

·
Registered
2010 Sportage V6 EX 2WD
9 Posts
Just a single deep discharge event can kill a car battery, so although it may appear healthy showing fully charged, it might no be able to deliver the Cold Cranking Amps, so best you get it load tested.
Thanks for the info. It's been starting fine once I began taking it out for a run of about 20 minutes every few weeks, but I will get it checked out. I figured I might have shortened the life by unintentionally letting it drain, but at the time it was the least of my worries.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX V6 AWD, 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, 2002 Honda S2000
167 Posts
Have you guys tried these pulse battery chargers?

Supposedly capable of 'repairing' damaged batteries!

My 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe battery failed on me just a bit over 3 years, outside of battery warranty. So I asked AAA roadside to help change my battery. Surprisingly AAA can deliver and install batteries for you for about the same price if I were to go buy batteries myself from autopart stores!

So anyways, I bought my 2017 Sorento back in 2020. It probably just came off of a 3 year lease..., anyway, several months after the purchase, I experienced complete battery drain due to stupid computer turning my lights on all night long! (Don't leave head lights on auto, sometimes it might mysteriously turn on). Anyway, after than episode, I noticed the car not cranking as well... so I figured the battery was probably near the end of life, plus it was damaged by that complete drain...

Somehow I discovered this device and decided to give it a try. Yeah, sure, during a over night charge/repair, things appeared to operate normally again. I thought okay, so the battery is just charged back up, surely it's going to lose its charge later like before...

I even scheduled AAA battery guy to come over to replace my battery.

Amazingly, the AAA battery guy tested the battery and tell me it's good as new, I don't need to replace it!

I've only had this device for a year... really curious to see if this sucker can really extend the life of batteries.

So far so good. My Santa Fe's new battery has been lasting longer than 3 years now too. But that could be the AAA guy installing a better battery than the factory one? Will just have to wait and see. If this device really works, it'd be a great $30 investment.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX 2.4L FWD
5 Posts
In my case 4 years is max I’ve ever seen but my car and truck are kept outside, winter is what kills the battery in my cars. Being proactive is always a good idea.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,263 Posts
Have you guys tried these pulse battery chargers?

Supposedly capable of 'repairing' damaged batteries!
I have a more widely known brand that improves the performance of an aging battery using the pulsation, but there's no charger that can reverse the damage from a deep discharge event
The pulsation is for desulfation

From your link:
  • 【PULSE REPAIR FUNCTION】Intelligent control system, strong pulse repair technology, remove vulcanization, repair slightly damaged batteries, reduce water loss, Provides stronger engine starts and extended battery life. ➤NOTE: It can not activate a dead battery or repair a battery which is damaged seriously; it also can not repair a battery back to 100% new.
I think that a Chinese to English translation error - at least they're honest with the information with regards the claim to "repair" damaged batteries.

I have this one:
Amazon.com: BatteryMINDer 2012: 12 Volt-2 Amp Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, and Battery Desulfator - Designed for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, ATV, Boats, RV : Automotive

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, I figured this probably can't extend life of batteries indefinitely, but sounds like life extension is possible, right? Just wondering approximately how long can it extend...

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,263 Posts
Yeah, I figured this probably can't extend life of batteries indefinitely, but sounds like life extension is possible, right? Just wondering approximately how long can it extend...
Yes, desulfation will extend the batteries life, by how much will depend on each induvials use of their vehicle.

My car has never been on the charger and its battery lasted 5 years, and I attribute that to it being my daily commuter and almost every time its started, the drive is around 45 minutes which is ample to fully charge it.
It's also garaged, so never exposed to freezing conditions.

If any of my vehicles stand for more than 2 or 3 weeks the maintenance charger is connected.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,178 Posts
The ones I bought work as expected. I got three which were like yours. Its how I know about them now being sold.
Well, I sent the pictures to the eBay seller and got a refund. I'll do my bit to fill up the local landfill with this turkey. :D I have also ordered a different one that shows temperature and voltage alternatively, maybe it'll work better. :D

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento LX I4 AWD, 36K miles
23 Posts
How long has everyone's battery lasted? I've got 5 years 3 months on mine, and I think it's about time for replacement.
6 years. Was fine when I replaced it. Bought my new one from the dealer. Kia rebrands Interstate Batteries now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How long has everyone's battery lasted? I've got 5 years 3 months on mine, and I think it's about time for replacement.
I believe battery life is controlled by at least two different elements. Where you live and how good is the battery manufacturer.

1. Here in the desert Southwest of Arizona it is quite common for use to see 115 F temps in the summer. Those days are killers for batteries. In fact most places consider a battery sale as a form of rental agreement, ha ha.

2. The other factor is how well the battery is manufactured. According to several website and independent testing one of the best batteries out there are the batteries sold by Walmart at least for batteries used in our dry hot climate. Don't know who manufactures them however. In our desert heat an Excide, or other name brand of battery might last about 3 years tops hence the name given them as just rental units. I have had Walmart batteries last for up to 5 years in automotive service. And I use a pair of deep cycle batteries my boat as well and they are on their 3rd season. They get shaken around pretty good. Go figure.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
906 Posts
I believe battery life is controlled by at least two different elements. Where you live and how good is the battery manufacturer.

1. Here in the desert Southwest of Arizona it is quite common for use to see 115 F temps in the summer. Those days are killers for batteries. In fact most places consider a battery sale as a form of rental agreement, ha ha.

2. The other factor is how well the battery is manufactured. According to several website and independent testing one of the best batteries out there are the batteries sold by Walmart at least for batteries used in our dry hot climate. Don't know who manufactures them however. In our desert heat an Excide, or other name brand of battery might last about 3 years tops hence the name given them as just rental units. I have had Walmart batteries last for up to 5 years in automotive service. And I use a pair of deep cycle batteries my boat as well and they are on their 3rd season. They get shaken around pretty good. Go figure.
I believe Wal-Mart batteries are currently being made by Johnson Controls although I'm sure the contract is bid out every year or so. Best batteries I've ever owned were made by East-Penn Deka and bought directly from one of their warehouses. They made a Miata specific AGM battery that would last a minimum of six years and usually closer to eight and I probably bought a dozen of them over the years for various race and street cars. Of course, that was back East where I thought cold was the killer of batteries until I moved to Tucson and discovered how heat is the real enemy.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,263 Posts
I believe Wal-Mart batteries are currently being made by Johnson Controls although I'm sure the contract is bid out every year or so. Best batteries I've ever owned were made by East-Penn Deka and bought directly from one of their warehouses. They made a Miata specific AGM battery that would last a minimum of six years and usually closer to eight and I probably bought a dozen of them over the years for various race and street cars. Of course, that was back East where I thought cold was the killer of batteries until I moved to Tucson and discovered how heat is the real enemy.
That is inline with my experience, East-Penn is the leader with Johnson Controls a reasonably close second, and both manufacture in the US.

Many battery outlets sell rebranded batteries made in China and India.

The original battery in my Ford that lasted 5 years was a Johnson Controls, and the Costco Interstate that I replaced it with is also made by Johnson Controls.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,178 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX w/tech Sangria & stone beige
12 Posts
I must have gotten a dud. Lasted not even 2 years. But this is Southern California where summers are brutal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I lived in SoCal for most of my life and I've never had car batteries that just die in 2 years! Yeah, must be a dud or perhaps damaged somehow...

Anyway, I leased a Honda Clarity EV back in 2017 and manual was telling me both freezing cold and scorching heat can damage batteries... and those were lithium ion batteries. After my 3 year lease's up, I didn't notice much battery degradation though. However, during cold(not even freezing in SoCal) and triple digit heat, you can definitely tell that you won't be able to achieve the same range as if on a normal weather. Battery performance can definitely be impacted by extreme temperatures.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,433 Posts
I must have gotten a dud. Lasted not even 2 years. But this is Southern California where summers are brutal.
Here when I replace a battery I get the Walmart EVERSTART Battery. They have a 3 Year Replacement warranty (not pro rated!!) + 2 more years pro rated. You have 3 years of confidence and cost nothing if its bad. I haven't had once fail that lasted a full year they keep going. Here winter is the real test and they're all high CCA rated in their classes.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,433 Posts
I have the BLACK+DECKER BC15BD Fully Automatic 15 Amp 12V Bench Battery Charger/Maintainer with 40A Engine Start, Alternator Check, Cable Clamps

BLACK+DECKER BC15BD Fully Automatic 15 Amp 12V Bench Battery Charger/Maintainer with 40A Engine Start, Alternator Check, Cable Clamps

It seems like every battery charger is a jack of all trades.

View attachment 122030
Thats overkill, high current will eventually boil the cells gasing them. I use a Noco G1100 which does take a long time on a big auto battery. But perfect for ATV/SxS and Lawn batteries. Its a 6 or 7 stager charger and works pretty good. I think the stopped making the G3500 which are duds, had two and both were useless. Returned but other company's are making the same type now.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
2,062 Posts
Just as an aside -
Willing to bet most people don't yet own a charger that will correctly charge an AGM battery (which is what we all have in this forum). AGM does not appreciate the higher charge current that is typically delivered to an old style lead-acid battery.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,433 Posts
Just as an aside -
Willing to bet most people don't yet own a charger that will correctly charge an AGM battery (which is what we all have in this forum). AGM does not appreciate the higher charge current that is typically delivered to an old style lead-acid battery.
That would mean it would take a lot longer to bring up a half charged AGM than a Lead Acid which accepts higher current input. Should be backwards compatible system then.

I have specific chargers for my Lithium and NiMH AA & AAA cells and their determining for type is voltage sensed.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L
34 Posts
I bought my 2016 close to a year ago and what appears to be it's original battery just gave up the ghost, so a bit over five years I'd guess, I'm happy especially since it's sat in the winter storm here - a far cry from the 100+ temps in TX last summer. So far cars have given me a couple low power starts before their battery goes so at least there's a little bit of warning - and the jump pack I picked up from Costco has been invaluable.

None in the family have competed with the longevity of the original battery in the family's old '98 Sienna though, that went some 12 years before keeling over.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts