Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
867 Posts
I replaced original batts in both cars at about 7 years mark, they never gave me trouble but I wanted to keep it that way. Got new batts at Costco, their Kirkland brand, they have very good warranty on them along with good prices. 4 years free replacement and prorated after that to 100 months total.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,072 Posts
I normally get 6-7 years out of a battery. My Sorento is my first AGM battery, so it'll be interesting to see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,282 Posts
If you use one of those lighter socket digital volt meters you can monitor the state and what going on and not wait until you're left stranded. Just learn what you're looking for. I posted a photo in another thread a while back which also has two USB charge ports.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
768 Posts
Mine shit the bed at almost exactly 4 years.

The AGM in my Audi went over 8 years and I replaced it as it made me anxious… not because it failed.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
253 Posts
If you use one of those lighter socket digital volt meters you can monitor the state and what going on and not wait until you're left stranded. Just learn what you're looking for. I posted a photo in another thread a while back which also has two USB charge ports.
My original battery is over 3 years old so I bought one of those Volt meters you posted in the other thread. I also carry a small separate combo jump starter and tire pump in case I get stuck. Thanks !!

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
890 Posts
4 years in Arizona is the very outside it will last, normally 3-3.5 years. I'm anxious to see how the AGM does, also have a small jump starter in the car. Batteries here fail very suddenly, there are no warning signs just won't turn over the car one day. Although automotive batteries are made here, some of the components are imported materials and so there is starting to be a supply problem with some of the lines and prices are starting to escalate like everything else.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I also bought one of those voltmeters. However, mine was less than accurate in reading the voltage! Notice any similarity in the voltage on the display vs. the voltage input from the DC power supply?

Gadget Finger Measuring instrument Red Font
Light Measuring instrument Clock Automotive lighting Digital clock
Measuring instrument Finger Gadget Font Health care

Another piece of Chinese junk!

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,116 Posts
I replaced my battery at 5 years.
Never had a slow crank, but did notice that the warning came on a lot earlier when the ignition was on ACC.

My battery tester confirmed that it was due for replacement, so I got one size larger Costco Interstate battery which has a 3 year replacement warranty.

98% of each start includes a trip long enough to fully charge the battery, garaged, and no extreme ambient temperatures is most likely why my battery lasted as long as it did.

Font Gadget Display device Multimedia Electronic device
Font Material property Display device Electronic device Ticket
Font Display device Electronic device Technology Ticket

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD 2.4L / Titanium
89 Posts
Just changed my 2016's OEM out after nearly 6 years of Michigan full-spectrum weather. No overt signs of performance deterioration, but knew it was time - esp. w/winter coming on. My wife drives it ALOT, so I'm sure that the constant lengthy trips helped keep it charged.

One thing I marvel at is how fast our 2.4L GDI starts - even totally cold in the morning. The starter barely has to spin and it's running before I can release the key. A very MUCH different situation than my teenage years of trying to start two different 400+ CID carbureted V8 Fords in the winter using a combination of old slow-cranking lead-acid battery tech, coupled with a can of starting fluid and a screwdriver holding the choke plate open on the carb. LOL :ROFLMAO:

-SM2016

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,995 Posts
I also bought one of those voltmeters. However, mine was less than accurate in reading the voltage! Notice any similarity in the voltage on the display vs. the voltage input from the DC power supply?

Good grief! Fixed to read 12.5V. That IS low!

·
Registered
2016 sorento ex v6 awd wisconsin
116 Posts
Also changed mine after 5+ years. Still started fine and kia service said load test fine, but since I will keep it for serveral more years and winter nearing, why wait. Also got new
Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 tires after large hole. So far they seem great.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,282 Posts

View attachment 121976 View attachment 121977 View attachment 121978

No, misleading. I got 3 like that. LOL They are for idiot light people. When normal voltage they show12.5V always and high only when over voltaged detected. You need to look for real time readings as I did for another set I got which work. Accuracy varies, yes but its relative once I know it if it show high and by how much.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
890 Posts
If you really care about accurate voltage readings, get a bluetooth based OBD2 scanner that will send info to your phone to an app and it will have a voltage function on it. These cheap Chinese devices sometimes work and sometimes don't. My ScanGauge II almost exactly matches the readings on my Fluke meter hooked directly to the battery (OBD port readings are always a bit different).

·
Registered
241 Posts
How long has everyone's battery lasted? I've got 5 years 3 months on mine, and I think it's about time for replacement.
Sometimes the original battery won't last five years / three months.
Curious thou.....
Your Mileage?
Do you live in a Cold North or Warm South climate?

Happy Holidays to you...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
No, misleading. I got 3 like that. LOL They are for idiot light people. When normal voltage they show12.5V always and high only when over voltaged detected. You need to look for real time readings as I did for another set I got which work. Accuracy varies, yes but its relative once I know it if it show high and by how much.
Well, that doesn't compute, when I jacked the voltage up to 14.9 volts, it still read 12.5V. I just took it out and connected it with an input of 18V, it still reads 12.5 volts! In case it was looking for a peak, I left it sitting with 18V for several minutes, no change. Clearly, it's useless!

·
Registered
2010 Sportage V6 EX 2WD
9 Posts
I've gotten 4 years each time. I'm on my 3rd battery. I always use the recommended size. With Covid this last 18 months and being retired, I had a flat battery at least 3 times due to lack of use (we ran the hybrid) and I'm not sure if that will shorten the life or not. As someone else posted, when they die, they die. I guess I should get some sort of emergency jumper for it. It's not really needed anymore as my plug-in hybrid gets tons more mileage, but it is like a new car; always garaged, always kept clean, no dents, only 80K, changed the timing belt at 60K, new Michelin all around, never smoked in, etc. I'm thinking I may give it to my grandson but the MPG isn't the greatest compared to more modern cars.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,282 Posts
Well, that doesn't compute, when I jacked the voltage up to 14.9 volts, it still read 12.5V. I just took it out and connected it with an input of 18V, it still reads 12.5 volts! In case it was looking for a peak, I left it sitting with 18V for several minutes, no change. Clearly, it's useless!
The ones I bought work as expected. I got three which were like yours. Its how I know about them now being sold.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts