Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. What in my Kia Sephia 96 might drain power when the engine is not running? The dynamo is charging and the battery is pretty new so I'm kind of sure that something is using power. I've allready unplugged the trunklight (this was the reason the last time I had this problem :p). Any tips?

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
yes, get a cheap multimeter, plug it in in series with battery and see what current is being drawn.
Once you find out how much current you are loosing, start pulling out fuses. One by one, and monitor when the current drops.
This will narrow it down.

Of course, TURN OFF all lights, stereo and anything else in the car.

Some other known issues are trunk light (you did it already) and aftermarket stereo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the battery :S I recharged it for 7 hours and a couple of hours later it was drained, showing 4.1V. Changed it and now everything is glory. I tryed to complain about the battery, but I didnt get anywhere without a receipt :mad:

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
It could be. Sometimes batteries have internal short - one of the plates may become loose and short with another one.

Anyway, check everything else (charging and so on). Sometimes this damage may be caused by low charging...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The charging put it up to 13.3V (that shoud be enough right?). About two months ago (about 6 weeks before I started having problems) I was in a rather heavy crash. A car crashed into my from behind causing a chain colition with two cars infront of me leaving a broken headlight and a few loose parts in the front (I have a hitch at the rear så the damage wasnt too great there). Could this have been the reason or shoud a battery withstand something like this? The battery was of somewhat bad quality.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
13.3 is while engine is running?? If so, it is way too low. It should be 14.3 +/- 0.3 V. If it is less than 13.5 than your battery will never be charged.
You need at least 2.3 V per cell, which means 13.8V for battery (6 cells).

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
14.3V* typing error. It was 14.4V now, just checked
All right now. You can do one more test - when engine is hot, and idling, and all devices are in off position, check voltage.
Next, turn on several of them (such as headlights, blower, stereo) check voltage again, add some more (defroster, hazards, fog lamps or high beams, A/C) and check voltage again and so on...
If you are able to keep 14.4 +/- 0.2 it means that most likely charging is fine.

·
Registered
kia sephia 2000
2 Posts
there is a tsb out there and I says to change your alternator to a 110a alternator an get a battery cover

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,903 Posts
Thread is 6 years old from last post..
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts