Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 kia amanti
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my husband lost my key. I purchased a new chipped key and had it programmed. The car was locked so I had it towed to the dealership to have the reset done. They said they key was successfully programmed but the car wont start. It had been sitting for 2 weeks at this point. No lights, no door dingers, nothing. The battery was so dead the door locks wouldnt even work. So the next day I jumped it for almost an hour with my moms car. Got lights radio etc. But still will not start or even turn over. Next day battery is completely dead again. Bought new battery and put it in. Still no start not even turning over. Take the starter off and have it tested. Tested good. Put it back on. Dead battery again. Had to break into the car to pop the hood. What could be causing the brand new battery to drain like that and be causing the car not to start or even turn over? Even with a jump it would click once and then nothing. Good starter and brand new battery....

·
Registered
2004 kia amanti
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so my husband lost my key. I purchased a new chipped key and had it programmed. The car was locked so I had it towed to the dealership to have the reset done. They said they key was successfully programmed but the car wont start. It had been sitting for 2 weeks at this point. No lights, no door dingers, nothing. The battery was so dead the door locks wouldnt even work. So the next day I jumped it for almost an hour with my moms car. Got lights radio etc. But still will not start or even turn over. Next day battery is completely dead again. Bought new battery and put it in. Still no start not even turning over. Take the starter off and have it tested. Tested good. Put it back on. Dead battery again. Had to break into the car to pop the hood. What could be causing the brand new battery to drain like that and be causing the car not to start or even turn over? Even with a jump it would click once and then nothing. Good starter and brand new battery....
Oh and just as an afterthought, the keys were locked in the car the whole time....so I found them after we got the car unlocked....

·
Registered
04 Kia Amanti, 2010 and 2016 Hyundai Genesis, 99 & 88 Suburban, ES30000, MGB91 E150, 89 S10 Blazer
219 Posts
There are so many things that can drain the battery. :confused: One thing that is sure to stop this from happening is a disconnect battery terminal like this one: CZC AUTO Battery Quick Disconnect Switch Top Post Switch. 👀
After this is installed, you can check the current leaving the battery using an amp meter. Just remove one fuse at a time to see when there is any change in current flow. When you find the draining circuit, trace the
separate wires in that circuit to determine which color wire is the one with a leak in it. I think there might be a wiring diagram somewhere on the internet, maybe in this forum. 😑 If you run out of patience, switch off the battery, so it will last until you can get back to more troubleshooting. The BCM is a known weakness in this series. The salvage yard could be your friend. o_O
I recall providing you with some information about an error code last year. :whistle:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts