Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
3 Posts
I have had an ongoing battery drain issue with my wife's 2000 Kia Sephia. We have had it check by a few mechanics who say it is charging fine. they swear the system is working perfectly.
I have changed the battery 3 times in 5 years and usually have to charge is 1-3 times a week.
When I went to charge is this morning I heard an odd noise when I popped the hood. The noise seems to be coming from the back of the engine near the windshield. It almost sounds like it is coming from the area of the fuel rail. The noise stopped once I cycled the key on and of in the ignition. I think this could be the source of out drain. I have a video of the sound, maybe somebody has some idea of what component is engaged. I can seem to embed a link so maybe this will work --

I am hoping we can finally sort out the issue and get 1-2 more year out of the car.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When charged it starts and runs fine. A little laggy on acceleration but it always has been little laggy. This morning it did not want to start and when I plugged in the charger it was between 50 & 75% Once it is fully charged again I may try some testing starting and shutting off and see if the noise pops up again.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,374 Posts
... We have had it check by a few mechanics who say it is charging fine. they swear the system is working perfectly. ...
Apparently not one of them did a parasitic draw test, after you explained what's been happening? Assuming that you don't DIY (which is what it sounds like), take it to a shop and tell them you want that test done. An auto electric shop is likely to be the best choice for this, if you have any in your area, but any capable shop should be able to quickly identify the problem circuit. After that it's uncertain how long it would take to narrow it down to the specific issue, but any good troubleshooter will be able to sniff it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts