Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Kia Sportage LX. I like the car a lot.

However, I have found that battery will die overnight if the headlight switch is left in the ON position. After getting out of the car, all visible lights turn off, so it looks like everything is fine. It looks exactly the same as when I leave the switch in Auto position and get out - everything visible turns off.

There must be some type of drain on the battery when the On position is selected even though there is no visible evidence (lights on) that there is an issue. I asked the dealer after the first time this happened, and they said that I should be able to use the On position the way I did. So, they are not aware of this issue.

The second time this happened, the car had been off for about 18 hours and the front parking (LED) lights, as well as the interior LEDs, were blinking like crazy when I found it. The battery was nearly dead and the car would not start. Apparently there was enough left to power the blinking LEDs, but that's it.

So, don't use the On position if you want your car to start the next day.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Very frustrating when the switch is left in the 'Auto' position. Why on Earth would you leave your headlight switch in the 'On' position overnight?????

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L w/ Convenience Package, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SE-AWC
557 Posts
I have accidentally left mine in ON overnight, with no ill effects. You have something else going on.

·
Registered
891 Posts
You know, this would be a very ignorant thread just a few years ago. :) But I'm still not sure why anyone would not simply turn the lights off when parking the car. I guess I have to go out there and get the damn book out of the glove box and read up on the light switch of all things.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L w/ Convenience Package, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SE-AWC
557 Posts
Let me explain how it happened to me.

I normally use the auto position. So i don't turn the lights off when i turn the car off. I leave them in auto.

However, when it rains or is dusk and i decide i need the lights on, then i turn them to on.

But i an accustomed to not bothering with the lights when i park the car. Cause they are usually in auto.

So the lights get left in the on position, buf the car is smart enough to turn them off anyway once you turn off ignition.
Here is my "wish list" for the auto headlights:

1. Give me an adjustment. The amount of "darkness" to turn on lights should be adjustable. If i have to turn them on myself at dusk.
, they cease being automatic.

2. They should turn on "automatically" if the windshield wipers are turned on. It is the law in most states. The car should be smart enough to do this "auto".

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD EX w/ Premium................. 2012 Kia Rio SX w/ Premium
171 Posts

2. They should turn on "automatically" if the windshield wipers are turned on. It is the law in most states. The car should be smart enough to do this "auto".
Bingo! I have wondered about this for awhile. Cant be hard to do from the factory.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
Bingo! I have wondered about this for awhile. Cant be hard to do from the factory.
You kidding? Connect 1 wire from the wiper + wire to the headlight computer to tell it to turn on is waaaaaaay too much of a hassle. ;)

Yah, good question why they don't, especially those with rain auto sensing wipers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leaving lights in On position

Thank you Dave for providing an example for why the lights might be inadvertently left in the On position: it was because of inclement weather and the Auto not turning the lights on when I thought that they should be.

I normally leave it on Auto, but due to bad weather, occasionally use the On position, and at least twice have forgotten to switch it back to Auto when parking overnight.

If the car appears to turn all of the lights off when I turn it off, regardless of the On/Auto position, then how am I supposed to know that the battery is being drained by some unseen force? The car should alert me to the fact that something is wrong - like beeping at me when I remove the keys if I'm not supposed to leave it in the On position when the car is off. All of my old cars (which did not turn the lights off) did this.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
I only have one gripe with the option of headlights turning on with the windshield wipers: HID headlights. Running HID headlights constantly does not kill them, but turning them off and on repeatedly does.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Well, I tried the Auto lights position and I like it. So this thread did somebody some good. :) I don't think I would have posted about leaving the light switch 'on' and complaining about a dead battery. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Come on guys, it is a simple switch, turn em on, turn em off......do we really need "auto" everything?

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
Isn't there also an audible tone when you leave the headlights in the ON position and the vehicle has been turned OFF?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,898 Posts
I would believe that the headlights would be turned off EVEN if the wipers were left on and the car was turned off... The BCM (body control module) should be programed to "handle" this type of logic...

There WAS a problem with some 2007 Spectras that the BCM was programed wrong and "if" the headlights were left in the "auto" mode...then the BCM would sometimes turn on the headlights in the middle of the night and discharge the battery...That was solved by an updated program upload to the BCM...

People make errors...people write these programs...programs have errors...
One small coding error may not show up for years but if the right sequence happens..
there can be BIG problems.... That's why I DON'T like "fly by wire" planes or cars where you CAN'T take back physical control... An ignition switch that REMOVES all power to today's electronics is what I want....NO "START" button you can't override.

I go along with ILLJIM69...turn the headlights off yourself when you put the car in park and turn off the ignition
Dave

·
Registered
557 Posts
Come on guys, it is a simple switch, turn em on, turn em off......do we really need "auto" everything?
Unfortunately, many people are too dumb to turn on their headlights when it is raining or at dusk. So either we make people smarter or their cars smarter.

Cars are easier.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Unfortunately, many people are too dumb to turn on their headlights when it is raining or at dusk. So either we make people smarter or their cars smarter.

Cars are easier.
Hence why the Sportage beeps annoyingly loud when you close the doors with the engine running (and key in your pocket).......stupid people need to be reminded that they left their car running. Seriously people? Can we PLEASE let Mother Nature do her thing? ;)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Nope. That's why there's medicine and vaccinations. Darwin's system doesn't work with humans, unless you count car accidents, transportation crashes, guns, etc.
Darwin's system would work if we let it, but alas we do not. I don't even think I want to count those accidents listed above because in theory (and in nature) it is usually the stupid, sick and weak who die off, but accidents as listed could take out people who are quite the opposite.

Waxing philosophical on a Kia website. :lol:

·
Registered
2014 Sportage EX
4 Posts
There's usually a piece of mail or something in the car I use to cover the light sensor on the dash when it is raining. That way, the lights are still automatic and turn off when I park it, and they are on during the rain event. When the sun comes out, remove the card from the dash.

·
Registered
2012 KIA RHONDO, 2.4,
1 Posts
My wife just arrived home with 2012 Rhonda. Someone said low beam headlights on (driving lights that come in with ignition). Battery drained - dead. Never happened before. Everything seems normal and things shut off as usual. Anybody had this problem? Cold out there tonight...so disconnected battery for night and put charger on. Maybe someone had this problem. Could it be finger problem- haha. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts