Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some of you (I guess if you live where it is hot) don't expect to get long out of batteries but I got 8 years out of my Audi's OEM battery and at least 5 out of my other cars (I have never had one die on me, I just replaced them when I thought it made sense to do so/they seemed to be weak).

My family and I got back from Florida yesterday and when we went to leave the park and ride, the battery was dead. I knew I didn't leave any lights on (I checked before we left) but figured I was losing my mind and I must have. Drove it about 1.5 hours home and put it on the charger to see what would happen. It didn't take much of a charge so I figured it may be OK. This morning it was dead. I charged it for an hour and barely got it started.... took it to the auto parts store and got a new AGM H-7 battery.

Long story short, don't trust your OEM batter in your Sorento to last very long! I have seen others say theirs died only have a few years but figured nah... mine will last way longer. Well, it didn't. Also, don't expect it to give you much if any warning.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL 2.0 Turbo
10 Posts
I had mine die in about the same time frame. First cold morning (40F) and it was out. There are 2 trends in the industry: batteries have lower cold cranking amps per $ and the electronics load within cars is greater due to infotainment systems, USB charging, more electronic computerization that may stay slightly energized when vehicle is not running.

All said, the improvements in gel based batteries vs. acid haven’t kept up with the demand on the electrical systems so don’t expect the same life as the previous generations.

Dallas, TX

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
384 Posts
I'm half tempted to buy the Bosch AGM at Pep Boys when it's on sale for $130 after rebates and everything and just have it in reserve. Unfortunately, that's the worse thing you can do to an AGM battery so I'll just wait until the inevitable failure and hope the Bosch is on sale again (it seems to happen pretty regularly). I've had very good luck with AGM batteries when treated properly - they hate a deep discharge have an equal dislike for high current recharge. I have no idea how long the OEM batteries actually go unused when the cars are new. I assume when they go into the car during production, they aren't but a month or two old but I could be wrong. Then your car could sit on the lot for six months without ever being moved or started. I haven't looked to see if there is a production date on our batteries so will have to do so when my wife gets home with the car. Might shed some light on potential lifetime. Here in Arizona, we don't expect more than 3 years out of any battery.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
319 Posts
What's the deal with AGM batteries ? My 2019 Kia has one. Bought a Toyota 4Runner new in 2005.
Regular old lead acid battery made in Japan, Panasonic, battery lasted 11 years. Still working, but I changed it just for being a good idea. It lived in hot summer/cold winter GA and a couple summers in South TX.

The new one, dealer installed, had to be replaced soon after (under warranty).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe this is more about accelerating sales and using cheaper and inferior materials while increasing prices?

Dallas, TX

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0 tGDI AWD
164 Posts
I had mine freeze on me December of 2017 it was -50C overnight (-76 F) and i didn't move it for a few days (Christmas and boxing day in Canada). replaced it with an AGM from Napa. no issues since. to try and help when it drops bellow -20C (-4F) i make sure i plug in the block heater. If it goes bellow -30C (-22F) and if i don't go to work and back (weekend or day off) I make sure to have a drive to keep everything warm and to charge up the battery.

I've also been thinking about adding a trickle charger and putting it also with the block heater.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you run a dash cam? More batteries fail in Florida than Alaska. Heat is number one killer of batteries. Yes in minus 20, an engine is so tight to turn over, oil like molasses, the battery is taxed to the max...and fails because people crank and crank. Some manufacturer's install battery in trunk, to avoid engine heat. 4 years is bang on with today's electronics. Of course your old ride with half the power draw would be less harsh on a battery
No, just a family full of USB charging at times but nothing out of the ordinary. I don't think our Sorento really draws much more current than our 2011 Audi A4. I am curious to see if the new batter goes past 4 years or not (assuming I don't just replace it at 4 years to avoid having to worry about it).

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,068 Posts
It's a crap shoot. My Santa Fe battery died 3 yrs 1 mo. Exactly 1 mo past warranty.
My wife's Grand Caravan wouldn't start a couple of months ago. Got under the hood to check the connections and realized it was a 9 year old Mopar factory original.
Just had to replace the AGM on my 2016 Sorento a month ago. Had a devil of a time finding an H7 on short notice, too.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,068 Posts
When connecting additional devices, it's worth noting whether or not the outlet is connected as 'switched' or 'battery'. Stuff plugged into the cig outlets (at least on earlier models for this forum) are not going to be an issue, since they are ALL (even the one by the rear hatch) switched outlets. Engine off, no juice, no harm, no foul.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
155 Posts
When connecting additional devices, it's worth noting whether or not the outlet is connected as 'switched' or 'battery'. Stuff plugged into the cig outlets (at least on earlier models for this forum) are not going to be an issue, since they are ALL (even the one by the rear hatch) switched outlets. Engine off, no juice, no harm, no foul.
Same with USB port where I keep my 50+ CDs on usb plugged in all the time ?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
8 Posts
Out here in the very hot Central Valley of California 5 years on a battery is pushing it to the very end.
I agree with others that newer vehicles have a significantly higher demand thus drain on the battery.
When we purchased our 2019 Sorento LX in June I was checking on replacement batteries and couldn't even find a GSM in the same group size as the oem battery. I hope we see better availability before it the original fails.

It seems like KIA's response is to put up a warning notice to the infotainment screen if you run the radio for 3 minutes with the ignition off.

·
Registered
2008 Sedona, base model.
54 Posts
My experience with batteries used to be that one got five years out of them pretty consistently. No more. Vehicles have dead-battery episodes that are hard to track down. My Sedona has a jumper that can be removed for long-term parking, etc., but I've never used it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts