Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KIA 2006.5 Optima battery completely drains if it sets for 3 or more weeks.
Any idea as to the reason . Nothing left on , just has factory equipment.

What size ( in Watts ),12 Volt Solar Battery charger/Saver should I get to keep it charged?
Tried a 1.5 watt . battery still died.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
Is it the original battery? If so it is on borrowed time, as 5 years is the usual life expectancy, and that could be the whole problem. It could have a bad cell, which will cause it to discharge itself and/or not provide full power.

A parasitic draw test will need done to see if there is anything drawing power at key off. Do you leave any accessory chargers plugged in? Even if they are not charging they could draw a battery down over time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spongebob218
Thanks for the reply

Is it the original battery? NO it is a new one.
It did the. same thing with the original battery.

Do you leave any accessory chargers plugged in? No nothing plugged in.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
As the Spongemeister suggests, check out the draw on the battery when everything is supposed to be off. See Google for details of the test.

I've left a car sitting for a couple of months and it started OK. That seems to be about the normal limit.

·
Registered
08 Magentis 2.7, 08 Citroen C1, 88 Yamaha ZR750, Kinroad 50, Yuen 125-23
211 Posts
Hi,
My advice would be the next time you leave the car for an extended period of time disconnect the battery. If its flat when you go back then you know its a battery issue and not a draining issue.
Only issue might be that the alarm wont work without the battery connected, although the car will lock so either make sure its in a secure location or drop another battery on for the duration of the test.
Stu

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
As far as the solar charger is concerned...
1.5 watts at 12v is only .125amps (125ma) and that is at full output.

When it's dark and there is no output from the solar cells a draw of .0625amps (half of the charge from the solar cells) during this time would negate the solar cells usefulness.
.0625amps is equal to 62.5ma (milliamps). Just sitting there the car WILL draw more than that and will slowly drain the battery...

"If" the weather is perfect (sunny all day) a 15 watt solar charger (10x) would put out 1.25amps. I would really doubt the car is drawing anything close to .625amps sitting there at night waiting for you. I would believe the most it would draw would be .100amp (100ma).

A 1amp trickle charger plugged in to the "mains" while you are gone should always leave plenty of charge in the battery and won't rely on the weather.
Dave

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,967 Posts
i would as spongebob218 has suggested by doing a parasitic current draw check and i would make sure all your external lights are going off like trunk and glove compartment and courtesy and engine compartment etc some of these lights use a mercury type switch and they do go bad and if you do have a parasitic draw i would start removing fuses till you find the culprit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the reply's.
Wry 'Cuda
check out the draw on the battery when everything is supposed to be off. See Google for details of the test.
Will do a Battery Drain Parasitic Draw Test

I've left a car sitting for a couple of months and it started OK. That seems to be about the normal limit.
Thanks that gives me some helpful info

stuartadair
My advice would be the next time you leave the car for an extended period of time disconnect the battery. If its flat when you go back then you know its a battery issue and not a draining issue.
Thinking about a battery disconnect switch .

DavesSpectra
As far as the solar charger is concerned...
1.5 watts at 12v is only .125amps (125ma) and that is at full output.

When it's dark and there is no output from the solar cells a draw of .0625amps (half of the charge from the solar cells) during this time would negate the solar cells usefulness.
.0625amps is equal to 62.5ma (milliamps). Just sitting there the car WILL draw more than that and will slowly drain the battery...

"If" the weather is perfect (sunny all day) a 15 watt solar charger (10x) would put out 1.25amps. I would really doubt the car is drawing anything close to .625amps sitting there at night waiting for you. I would believe the most it would draw would be .100amp (100ma).

A 1amp trickle charger plugged in to the "mains" while you are gone should always leave plenty of charge in the battery and won't rely on the weather.
Dave
Great information about the solar charger , I have a 2 amp trickle charger was looking at a solar charger to avoid plugging in a charger and the forgetting to unplug it and driving off [ senior moment at my age :)]

jetech00001
i would as spongebob218 has suggested
thanks

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts

No way should the car draw 62.5mA, let alone more than that. Max current draw key off with the doors locked should be no more than 35mA(.035A). This car should drop to almost zero key off and locked, but I would be happy with anything under 20mA. That isn't going to kill a fully charged battery in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
spongebob218
Max current draw key off with the doors locked should be no more than 35mA(.035A). This car should drop to almost zero key off and locked, but I would be happy with anything under 20mA
thanks for that information

·
Registered
11 Posts
Battery Saver function does not seem to be working. Isn't it supposed to keep battery from draining even if you leave the lights on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a FYI = I just use a solar charger now and that seems to have solved the problem .
Sorry for not posting this earlier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts