Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if your battery is over 2 years old, get it checked. mine was 3.5years old, died this morning. but i was in "good hands" giving a shoutout to Allstate roadside assistance. also to Advanced Auto Parts, free battery testing and installation. They also deliver to your home. A few years ago my battery died overnight and they delivered the battery to my house and installed it free. :)

i did notice the past few days the engine took a little more to crank up. but thought it was b/c of the HKS mh45xl racing spark plugs i installed a few weeks ago. heard they're not as effective in cold weather b/c they are "colder" plugs. they are 2 steps colder than the stock plugs.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/11/q-a-why-do-car-batteries-die-in-winter/index.htm
Q: Why do car batteries go dead in winter?

A: Cold weather is often fingered as the culprit when car batteries die, but actually warm temperatures do the most damage to them. High temperatures quicken corrosion of internal plates and vaporize the electrolyte faster. But car batteries usually go dead in cold weather mostly because damage done during the summer doesn’t show up until the battery is more taxed. A cold battery has reduced cranking power, and cold temperatures thicken motor oil, making it harder to turn the engine over. Modern electrical and fuel systems can mask a weak battery by starting an engine with a minimum of cranking, but when a weak battery is further compromised by cold conditions, it’s more likely to fail.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Mine died recently. One day she took longer to start. Next day wouldn't start at all. Charged it, still struggled. Checked voltage during and after charging, nope, can not hold a charge. Called around to find a replacement, then gave her the "final go" to get to the closest AutoZone. Just for fun, tried to restart it there. Nope, she'd shat the bed..

Test indicated a cell was gone. Super low voltage without load.

Been fine since replacement.

OEM batteries are pretty much the cheapest, crappiest you can get. I've switched to Lithium for my motorcycles, can't wait for aftermarket options to be available for our 4-legged friends...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes and no to the OEM batteries, as a lot of cars made in the past few years come with gel or AGM batteries from the factory - an aftermarket lead-acid battery (the most common type available) will certainly be inferior in terms of longevity and vibration-resistance.

Also, changes in season are the best times to check your battery as these are the conditions which will test your battery - e.g. CCA's in winter, and heat-resistance in summer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts