Kia Forum banner

Battery and Brake dashboard lights ON ?

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  gee6 
#1 ·
So two days ago the battery light and brake lights both came on the dash. Everything i've looked up says something related to alternator or actual alternator. The problem is i just had the alternator plus serpentine belt replaced exactly a year ago, May 2021, for the same issue except that time my car had completely died while driving. I took my car to Auto Zone last night for free testing because i just can't afford anything right now. He tested battery said it was at 4% something was draining it probably the alternator i wouldn't even make it home. And said they couldn't test alternator because battery didn't have enough charge! I decided to risk it and drove home couldn't afford a tow. Luckily I made it home but it feels like the car will die next time i drive it. So with an alternator only a year old what else could these lights possiby mean?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
So i went to Auto Zone, was told they'll do free diagnostic test. They said couldn't do it because check engine light wasn't on but they could test battery. It showed was at 4%. He said i probably wouldn't even make it home. So i'm near tears, he said couldn't test alternator the battery wasn't charged enough. When i asked about alternator only being a year old why was this happening he did mention sometimes they're rebuilt. I have no clue what any of this means. I decided to risk driving home i couldn't afford a tow and don't live far. Friend loaned me a battery charger i charged my battery several hours, i think it fully charged and i was able to make it to the mechanic that did the work last year. The battery and brake dash lights remained on through all this.

#4 ·
Sorry for such lengthy replies, i just want to be clear. So they said alternator was under warranty but labor wasn't after 6 mos. Thursday they replaced alternator. I picked it up (forgot to ask if last one was rebuilt) but did ask him why this happened and was it any wiring or connections to alternator. He assured me he checked everything all that was fine, that this was just a "freak" thing that sometimes happens and luckily alternator has lifetime warranty. Car ran great the rest of the day and Friday morning.

#6 ·
UPDATE: BTW i drive a 2007 V6 Kia Sorento-Automatic
So car ran fine for a day then yesterday i picked my son up from school and the battery and brake warning lights lit up again, but this time didn't stay on they were just flickering on and off and my car starting lagging not sure what word to use, but basically felt like it was about to die. Warning lights flickered whole way home car ran really slow feeling. Made it to mechanic that put in alternator second time within a year they had closed an hour earlier than hours said online. And closed all weekend so made it all the way back home without car dying but dash lights flickered on and off entire time and car sputtered and felt like it was going to stall out every time i braked at stoplight. Didnt drive it all day today figured would be the same now im driving it and warning lights aren't coming on at all and running pretty good still a little sluggish feeling. Any input appreciated i will be taking it back mechanic Monday simply because i think they should recheck the work they did. Thanks

#7 ·
Something i just remembered has been happening last few months is when i turn my car off and take my key out of ignition then open my door it dings as if my key is still in ignition so i have to insert my key again turn it to right without actually starting it then turn it back off and pull it back out and it stops the dinging. Is this something that would possibly drain the battery in any way?

#10 ·
I have just been through issues with the locking system. (look back through my recent posts.) This rang a bell! I noticed in certain circumstances I would switch off and pull the key, but when leaving the car I notice the side lights were still on even though the headlights had gone off. Having cleaned all the locks (including ignition) I concluded that the ignition lock was not releasing properly due to dirt, as the issue went away. It can be that a worn key and/or barrel might also cause this. Try turning the key around 180deg and/or removing it 'differently'. If you have a spare (of course you do) try using that.

#9 ·
It does sound like you may have a bad electrical connection somewhere. My guesses would be
broken/damaged earth/ground cable (intermittent)
(either battery to chassis, chassis to engine or at alternator - it's been on and off enough times)
Loose or corroded ground connection (where the cables attach to the relevant point)
(possibly) loose battery (may be moving around)
and/or badly secured battery connectors.
or a really flakey battery. (Not sure I understand how it can be tested 'at 4%', but can then be recharged and driven. Not even sure how they tested it - sounds like they did it in place. Accepting that whoever did the test would probably be on commission for parts.)

As advised a good auto electrician is your best bet. [imo a lot of people who call themselves mechanics are no more than parts fitters. They will replace parts as long as your wallet stays open, but could not diagnose a problem to save their life (or, more to the point, your life).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.