Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I brought my Sorento in for an oil change today at 25k miles and they told me it needed new ball joints as I was checking in. I am not sure if they were actually worn but they said there was service advisory or something to that effect on them.

They mentioned something about some cars having them wearing out prematurely and having sloppy steering feel. I recall several members saying their cars had funky handling. Maybe this is why? I must say, I never noticed an issue with mine.

Anyone else hear about this? I imagine it's just certain vehicles but it looks like mine was one of them. When the dealer said it was not a recall but something like a service advisory, I said I see keeping it on the down low.:)

I was worried it was going to take too long and I said can I have it done the next time in, and they said Kia is telling them to get them done if at all possible and people bring their cars in.

Edit, it looks like this system brought up before but initially it was only a Canadian advisory. http://www.kia-forums.com/2016-sorento/261730-ball-joint-recall.html

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,502 Posts
Yes. When I brought mine in a few months ago they told me about it and replaced them. However, a week later I noticed every time I turned right while going over irregular pavement there was a crank noise...primarily on the passenger side but later realized it was also coming from the driver side.

About 3 weeks ago, I had to go back to dealer for 30k Km regular maintenance and asked them to check up that noise. Guess what? Both ball joins where completely lose, they did not know how it happened but replaced them again. Since then, it's been quiet and smooth ride.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
680 Posts
Service Action SA242 released Dec 2016

This bulletin provides the procedure to replace both left and right front lower ball joints on some 2016-2017MY Sorento (UMa) vehicles, originally sold in one of twenty-eight (28) salt belt states, produced from November 6, 2014 to December 23, 2015, which may experience an unusual noise from the front of the vehicle, over rough road surfaces. Before conducting the procedure, verify the vehicle is included in the list of affected VINs.

The 28 salt belt states, where heavy amounts of road salt are used for de-icing in the winter months, are: AK, CT, DC, DE, IA, IL, IN, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT, WI, WV, KS, KY, NE, ND, SD and UT.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Service Action SA242 released Dec 2016

This bulletin provides the procedure to replace both left and right front lower ball joints on some 2016-2017MY Sorento (UMa) vehicles, originally sold in one of twenty-eight (28) salt belt states, produced from November 6, 2014 to December 23, 2015, which may experience an unusual noise from the front of the vehicle, over rough road surfaces. Before conducting the procedure, verify the vehicle is included in the list of affected VINs.

The 28 salt belt states, where heavy amounts of road salt are used for de-icing in the winter months, are: AK, CT, DC, DE, IA, IL, IN, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT, WI, WV, KS, KY, NE, ND, SD and UT.

So what happens if you don't live in the Rust Belt but you spend a lot of time in the winter months in the Rust Belt... Seems short-sighted to me. Thanks so much for sharing!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
680 Posts
Definitely an odd TSB calling out specific states and not taking into consideration the vehicle may not be used there...or one could have been bought in another state not on the list and taken to a state that is. I'm sure any issues would still be covered under the normal warranty, it just wouldn't be taken care of until the issue actually occurs.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD
270 Posts
I find this entire TSB odd. So there's ball joints that can deteriorate and the only thing that can do that is salt? I don't drive my Sorento on gravel but I grew up on gravel roads and there's still plenty of people who live on them. So, all that gravel, dirt, mud won't affect them? Here in Arkansas we aren't salt belt but we get ice and they use salt and beat juice LOL... true story. Will salt and beat juice damage them? I've camped on the beach on Padre Island TX and woke up to everything metal rusted from the salty sea spray. What about coastal people?

How do they know the only thing that can damage them is salt? That just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,330 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread to point out that there are still some of us being impacted by this.
Just under 40,000 miles, and a 5/60 that's still good until December 2020, so this one's on the dealer.

Noticed bad wear pattern, particularly on driver's side, and found there was a TON of wiggle in the joint. Wish I'd caught it sooner -- the factory Michelins still had good tread on them. I had only noted the feathering on the outside periphery, but realized that the INSIDE of the tire was looking really bad. What's weird is that in spite of what appears to have been a serious toe-out issue, the thing tracked just fine on the road.

So just a reminder to those owners of 2016 Sorentos that are running out of time on their 5/60, be sure to have a look at the lower front ball joints just to be sure. SA242 and TSB CHA-073 cover the details. The TSB really is weird. It talks about specific states and salt use, but these parts are covered under the 5/60 regardless, and not covered by anything in the TSB if you're over those numbers anyway. Looks like the only distinction is really how it gets reported/billed back to Kia.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
894 Posts
I find this entire TSB odd. So there's ball joints that can deteriorate and the only thing that can do that is salt? I don't drive my Sorento on gravel but I grew up on gravel roads and there's still plenty of people who live on them. So, all that gravel, dirt, mud won't affect them? Here in Arkansas we aren't salt belt but we get ice and they use salt and beat juice LOL... true story. Will salt and beat juice damage them? I've camped on the beach on Padre Island TX and woke up to everything metal rusted from the salty sea spray. What about coastal people?

How do they know the only thing that can damage them is salt? That just doesn't make sense to me.
As with most front end components today, they are 'greased for life'. No zerk fitting to add grease.
If the rubber boot surrounding the ball joint gets torn some how, and salt water gets in during the winter months, it won't be long until the steel ball and steel socket become corroded and rusted.
If you could inject fresh grease into a ball joint with a torn boot it would buy you time, but that's wishfull thinking in today's world! I'm not sure why the vast majority of OEM's went away from zerk fittings on front end components many years ago? A zerk fitting might have helped in this scenario.....Just a guess...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts