Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
09 Borreggo 57,000 miles, warranty ran out at 50,000.

Both rear wheel bearings need to be replace. About 1/4 inch of lateral play on each.

I'm disappointed this car needs bearings before 60,000 miles. That’s a joke.

Was quoted 230 per wheel for parts and labor which seems reasonable though. I have only done front wheel bearings myself that where pressed into the hub and that was no fun to do.

Any chance Kia would pick up some of this tab since it just sounds like poor craftsmanship or am I on my own.

I just did brakes, tires and paid kia 180 dollars to release a stuck down middle seat that I could not release... I'm not impressed with kia at this point.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,789 Posts
This is a warranty repair I would drive it to your local Kia dealership, they will have to look at it first before anything happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i'm telling my girlfriend to do that now, but i'm expecting them to tell me its not covered, but I don't really understand her warranty coverage.

Anyone know how the rear hub assembly comes off? Do you just unbolt it then take it to have the bearings pressed out?

I see the whole hub for $120 and the bearings for $50 on ebay.

I did the front bearings on economy cars and the hub was pretty easy to get off. But I had to pay a shop 30 bills to press it out.

Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
Drew...
You are in the USA and the car has a 100k mile warranty on first owners car and 60k mile warranty on the second owner. I only see a problem if you are a third or higher owner...
At 57k miles they should replace both sets of bearings N/C with proof of ownership.
Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea you guys are right. She says they are covering it today now that I finally got her to take it in. She is the second owner so we have 3k left I guess. Thats great to know that the waranty decreases with more owners.

Now if you guys only had a trick to making girlfriends understand what their warranty coverage is and the importance of paying attention to car maintenence I'd love to hear about that.

·
Registered
2009 Rondo LX 2.4L
26 Posts
The rear wheel bearings on the Borrego are made by SKF and they are the complete hub assemblies. The are quite involved to replace as you have to remove the axle shafts and parts of the rear suspension to get to them.. The OEM SKF units are the only units avaliable, due to the low volume of the Borrego no one elso has tooled them up. Actually, the OEM units are pretty good compared to other mid size SUV bearings I have seen. If you had the rear brakes done just before this and beat on the rotors to get them off, damage to the hub bearings could have been done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.