Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i believe i may have a couple bad synchronizers in my transmission on my 01 kia sportage but i am not to sure if i do. anytime i start my car and leave the car in neutral i can take my stick and move it down into a gear without my foot on the pedal and it would make a grinding sound as if it's trying to go into gear.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts
are you saying the transmission makes grinding noise when you are trying to engage a gear without depressing the clutch?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes transmission makes a grinding noise when i am engageing a gear without pressing down on the clutch pedal and leaving it in neutral instead.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts
so why would you think something is wrong?

however, the question is: why would you do that? why would you try to put in to the gear without pressing the clutch.
This is completely normal condition that gears are grinding when you try to engage them without the clutch.

The synchros fail when you can have grinding noise while shifting (when driving) from one gear to another WITH the clutch.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i was leaving my house to head to the store. as soon as i go to shift into first gear i realize my foot was not on the clutch pedal so i stop when i heard the grinding sound. but the thing is i was not even forcing it into gear at all the grinding sound started right when it started to go into gear as if there was nothing stopping it from going in and yet i was not putting any force into it.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
i was leaving my house to head to the store. as soon as i go to shift into first gear i realize my foot was not on the clutch pedal so i stop when i heard the grinding sound. but the thing is i was not even forcing it into gear at all the grinding sound started right when it started to go into gear as if there was nothing stopping it from going in and yet i was not putting any force into it.
That is exactly how it is designed. You cannot mesh a stationary gear into a moving (rotating) gear without harm.

The grind noise is the tranny yelling OUCH!!, STOP!!.:eek:..... Philip

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is exactly how it is designed. You cannot mesh a stationary gear into a moving (rotating) gear without harm.

The grind noise is the tranny yelling OUCH!!, STOP!!.:eek:..... Philip
i understand all that :) the grinding noise is not a good thing and it can harm the transmission. but what confuse me is if this is normal then how come all the other gear's don't make a grinding noise if i take the stick and move it up to the other gear's but not trying to put it into just just enough where it touches it without forcing it in.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
And why would you do that in any gear? When you are trying to put it into gear without depressing the clutch, you are trying to get the synchro to do more than it was ever designed to do i.e. getting the whole car into motion (if you are stationary) or correcting a gross mis-match of rotating elements in the gearbox with all the momentum of the car behind it. With the clutch depressed, there's only the inertia of the gear-train to contend with.

Your experiments show that the synchro is doing its best in most gears, but maybe 1st gear sychro is getting a little tired. Stop worrying.

The only time you try and get fancy with clutchless gear-changing is if you are already moving and the clutch has failed. You can then make reasonable attempts to match the revs. You should only try this in an emergency. Starting a clutchless car can be done fairly easily by allowing the car to roll downhill to the correct speed and then feeling the box into gear. In an absolute emergency, you can get the car moving from stationary by operating the starter motor with the car in 1st gear, but this is only for life-or-death situations.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
I hear you frustration.:confused:

The gate in the shift column is most probably more worn at the #1 position (used most). Allowing the shift fork to move just a hair forward messing gears with little resistance.... Philip

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Could also be that due to the design of the gearbox, the synchro rings for 1st gear are smaller diameter than the others and aren't quite up to the mis-use that you are subjecting them to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts