Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you have read any of my last posts u will know the problems i have had with this thing.

after doing compression tests (dry/wet) and consulting my auto teacher (i went to a trade school for 2 years) it turned out to be bad rings from overheated motor from one of the last owners.

well i have replaced the rings and am in the process of putting the thing back together when i thought i would check the valves to see if they are sealing but i cant get the right spring compressor for days so im not going to.

my question, is it a common prob. for the rings to go bad if the motor is overheated?

just trying to get as much info as poss.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,688 Posts
It is quite possible for the rings to collapse under adverse heat situation, but I would expect to see some cylinder wall issues as well.

Did you hone the walls and remeasure the cylinders before replacing the rings??

It would be false economy to reinstall the head without first checking the valves, seats, stems and seals... Philip

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4 , 1998 Saturn SC2
65 Posts
If it got that hot , the valve stem seals are probably toast as well. you need to find a valve spring compressor and check them or you may be pulling the head off again when it burns alot of oil...also your injector o-rings , camshaft position sensor, anything plastic or rubber that close to those temps may be dammaged..so Good Luck...

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didnt check the cyl walls as i didnt have the right tools but the head is off a diff spotage and i had it shaved for $50 and checked it after and it was perfect. it head doesnt seem to be leaking oil from the stems as i had it running before i took it apart. i have since put it back together and ill be starting it when i get some new oil.

ill keep you guys updated, thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts