Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday after washing the Sorento I pulled it into the garage so I could polish it and I noticed orange peel effect in the paint job (Radiant Red). It’s on both sides and the front hood. I don’t understand how I missed it before. Nevertheless, is then any recourse I might have in this matter? The vehicle was just purchased two months ago.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
536 Posts
i would question the dealer if the hood has been repainted, look for over spray and masking tape marks.

the paint job on mine is as good as anyother new car with no "orange peal" the best that i can remember since i have not seen mine for almost 3 weeks (still at the dealer to replace the engine (sucked in a piece of the throdle into the motor), and radio (which i did not know there was anything wrong with) and now it looks like they are having someother problem with it)

i called yesterday to find out when i would get it back and was told the service manager was on the phone with "kia techinical services" about my vehicle and the service manager was not in the building at this time. i left him a voice mail and got no return call that day.

kia was good enough to rent me free of charge a Jeep grand cherokee ( what a pice of junk!) untill mine was finished

at this point kia can have the vehicle back and i will go by a "nissan xtera" :)

·
Registered
car
4,204 Posts
I have no paint problems with mine. Sounds like its time to take a trip to the dealer to see what they can do for ya. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had my Serento a fortnight, clear silver, and also noticed what could be orange peel effect.

This seems to be more noticable when the sun is shining directly on the side of the vehicle. It Seems te be on all panels although shows up more on the left hand side.

As it seems to be all over so I am not going to worry about it unless any problems occur. Checked for overspray and could not find any evidence that the vehicle had been re-sprayed.

Perhaps it's a feature of Kia Paintwork !

will point it out to dealer!

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
All factory paint jobs have orange peel. The paint on the hood-roof-trunk panels tends to lay down flatter, but all factory paint jobs have orange peel. Aftermarket paint jobs can have orange peel too, but the ability to use more clear helps reduce the effect, not to mention the painting process is entirely different.

You can sand down the factory paint to make it flat then buff it out, but you'd have to be pretty careful.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
44 Posts
polished mine for the first time at the weekend, must admit, the paint job is a bit poor, but its the only thing that I can bitch about so far

don't think there's many layers on there,...but it does the job I guess, and it aint a Mercedes so I guess this is one of the places where they save ££'s

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi my paint is still lovely after a year can,t seem to work out it doesnt seem to be stone chipped either !
Cannot see any orange peel but if its more noticeable in the sun well then theres the answer.. I live in the UK :crying:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Some cars are worse than others, but they all have it. Polishing alone won't take away the orange peel, you have to "cut-and-buff", which is sanding the high spots down with fine sandpaper and buffing it to a shine with a buffer.

You're right that there isn't much paint there. Companies get fined when too many pollutants go into the air. Less paint is a way to avoid it, and save money. You can still cut-and-buff it though, just don't get carried away.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Although probably nothing will become of it I’m going to run mine by the dealer to see if there’s anything they can do about it. It’s not that it’s all that bad because you can only notice it under the right lighting conditions. Nevertheless, it just seems to sticks out like a sore thumb. I’ll let you know what the dealership said tomorrow.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.