Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, looking for suggestions on improving my Gas Mileage. I've got a 2005 manual transmission Spectra. I'm working part time as a delivery driver and I'm only getting about 22 MPG. Even with city driving and my lead foot I'd expect a little more out of it.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
A little more is all you'll get. 22 MPG (US gallons I presume) is about right for a medium car in the city with a lead foot. Our medium cars (Cerato, Mazda) get 24 MPG with the usual trips being 5 or 10 km and no lead foot (social events rather than delivery). I consider the fuel consumption pretty good for 2 litre autos. Test the car on the freeway; It should get about 36 MPG. Hope your MPG figures are real world, not trip computer.

Tyre pressures; check for brakes dragging; tune-up; don't carry excess weight; maybe change to "green" tyres. The usual stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 Spectra LX
14 Posts
Hey all, looking for suggestions on improving my Gas Mileage. I've got a 2005 manual transmission Spectra. I'm working part time as a delivery driver and I'm only getting about 22 MPG. Even with city driving and my lead foot I'd expect a little more out of it.
I would consider that decent mileage. I have the 2005 as well but in an automatic and I haven't gotten over 16mpg on a tank yet.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX, BMW e34 & e46
34 Posts
City driving will kill your mileage no matter what you do. That is not to mention having a heavy right foot as well. I wouldn't consider 22MPG that bad...

Wry 'Cuda touches on some good points - get a tune-up (new spark plugs, air filter, spark plug wires, etc.), adjust brakes as needed- specifically your e-brake, inflate tires to proper pressure (on the higher side won't hurt), empty your trunk and backseat of all unnecessary weight, get touring tires vs. all-seasons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts