Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sorenta
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Sorento 3.5l V6. Get 14.8mpg in the city and 18mpg on the highway. Would have thought since it is a V6 it would be 3 to 5mpg better. Checked into the adding the "chip" or booster, but I don't think it is a good idea and wasted money. Any ideas?
Thanks
HP

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
14.8 and 18 isn't that bad.

Now for the conversion to Litres per 100km.

Around town i can get up to just under 15 L\100 (15.6 MPG), but my city driving still isn't that bad. (not too much start stop). On a normal week i average 13.5 L\100 (17.4233 MPG)

The BEST i have seen is basically filling it up and doing nothing but long stretches down the highway, and that was 11 L\100 (21.4 MPG). But this was a once off, and never seen that figure again.

So you not too far off my figures.
I mean these things arent exactly light vehicles, weighing in at about 2 ton (although medium class in size, in weight they weight as much as a full sized Patrol)
Is you 2004 the manual, 4 speed auto or 5 speed auto?
I have a 5 speed auto, so would be lower fuel.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Those numbers aren't that far off, especially if you have the 4x4 (even in 2x4 mode, you still have the added weight of the transfer case and locking hubs).

Things such as tire pressure (and tread style), % of ethanol in the fuel (I get 21 combined with 0%, 17 combined with 10%), quality/thickeness of oil, driving style, hills or flatland?. All in all, considering its weight and capability, it's not bad at all.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
I mean these things arent exactly light vehicles, weighing in at about 2 ton (although medium class in size, in weight they weight as much as a full sized Patrol)
Yes I laugh at people who think that these things are weakly built, in a crash test they actually fare better than the equivalent model Patrol. Just take a look at the chassis and the amount of reinforcing in it.

I manage to get slightly better mileage than you, I average about 12 L/100 Km (20 miles /US gallon) (but we live in a semi -rural area and the car spends most of it's time being driven at 80-110 Km / hr I have done as well as 11 l/100 Km but as you have said the mileage goes up sharply when you drive it in traffic - or when my wife drives it? Strangely it doesn't seem to change much when you tow with it. Mine is a 2003 3.5 with the 4 speed auto.

Still by 4WD standards they are pretty good, and surprisingly much better than the similarly sized Mitsubishi Pajero running the same engine.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Yes I laugh at people who think that these things are weakly built, in a crash test they actually fare better than the equivalent model Patrol. Just take a look at the chassis and the amount of reinforcing in it.

I manage to get slightly better mileage than you, I average about 12 L/100 Km (20 miles /US gallon) (but we live in a semi -rural area and the car spends most of it's time being driven at 80-110 Km / hr I have done as well as 11 l/100 Km but as you have said the mileage goes up sharply when you drive it in traffic - or when my wife drives it? Strangely it doesn't seem to change much when you tow with it. Mine is a 2003 3.5 with the 4 speed auto.

Still by 4WD standards they are pretty good, and surprisingly much better than the similarly sized Mitsubishi Pajero running the same engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts