Kia Forum banner

Backup Camera while in Drive button

26K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  gunrunnerjohn 
#1 ·
has this mod been covered? I searched and didn't find what I needed, so here it goes:

has anyone figured out a way to turn on the backup camera while NOT in reverse?
I'm in an EX with the UVO system.

#2 ·
Yes, it is called a rear view mirror.

#3 ·
Seriously? "rear view mirror" ? Why are people on forums so rude? Were you picked on in school? Im SURE these people wouldnt have the balls to do this in person. I know I would knock em down. That crap REALLY pisses me off.

Anyways I havent heard of it being covered myself but on aftermarket radio's there usually hooked up to the neutral safety switch or the back up lights. If you could remove the radio and "probe" the wires until you find the one that either gets hot or gets a ground when shifted into reverse. Then make sure to use a diode as not to make your reverse lights come one with your switch. I hope that helps.

#4 · (Edited)
Heh, ILLJIM69 is like that. He's reasonable, if opinionated ;-)

There's a valid criticism that it's unnecessary, and is a distraction.

That said, I like the modification. I don't like things designed to override my decisions, as if something unthinking is smarter than me. Driving into a small parking stall can be helped by cameras, and a passenger can set GPS while in drive.

It usually is a wire going into the head unit, and usually only needs to be grounded, all as TooLoud74 says. I haven't seen cars where equipment relies on the head unit for lights and such (certainly possible), but I have seen it cause issues in GPS and speed-sensitive volume. I'd imagine the answer will be in this forum's history, and any audio shop will be able to do it cheaply.

Edit: there's also the criticism that an active driver-viewable video screen is likely illegal on public roads in any given area. Could be a little irresponsible of me to justify without mentioning that.

#5 · (Edited)
I should keep in mind that sarcasm doesn't flow well over the internet, they should make a font for that.

BTW - If you "knock em down" in real life, you are going to enjoy a lot of time in handcuffs and courtrooms. Try not to take things to serious. ;)

#8 ·
In all seriousness, can someone please explain to me why it would be a "nice feature"? This goes right up there with the front view camera. Are people really that lazy that they can't be bothered to look in their mirrors? And no, the Sportage's rear visibility isn't that bad.

I mean, if you are going for a "gee whiz" factor, then I can understand that. I just honestly can't comprehend any realistic application that this would fit.

#9 ·
towing bike with a stand and a ramp. heard a weird noise at certain speed. faster than pulling over, over a rumble strip on the highway, I could have peeked through the camera to see if it was the chains, stand, ramp, or the straps. seeing as how the rear window is useless.

#10 ·
Hey, whatever floats your boat man, it's your money and your car, do what you like.

#11 ·
When I was towing a trailer this weekend I thought on several occasions that it would be nice to enable the rear camera, you really can't see any part of a small trailer out the rear view mirror of the Sportage. Even the side mirrors don't really help except when taking a tight low speed corner.

#12 ·
Do you guys lack confidence in your hitching and securing abilities? Seriously, not being a wiseguy. Like I said, it is your car, do what you want, but you do realize how weird that sounds, right? How are you hooking things up that normal bumps in the road are scaring you to death?

I can't honestly recall a point where I ever though my boat or bikes were going to come unhitched. You have the ball hitch, plus the chains as a backup, I mean, if something were to go wrong, you will know it without needing to see it.

Anyway, good luck on the search, I wouldn't mind doing it just so I can get a better look at tailgaters.

#14 ·
well without being there, you don't know the sound it made, but it was enough that I did pull over to check it. turns out it was the stand shaking due to the wind, but only at certain speed. it made enough noise to alert me, so it was worth pulling over.

#13 ·
I know this has little to do with this topic,just my one time experience. I was driving my friends Forester once with aftermarket pioneer head unit. I was able to switch to back up camera from the settings while driving the car forward,it was pretty confusing i must say. To watch the road in front of you and glancing at the screen. Anyway,it was in dead of winter,mostly i saw plumes of smoke and water sprayed behind the car all enhanced by the headlights of the car behind me.

#16 ·
We don't have the UVO system, but the logic is similar. The camera got power from the reverse light, so its power up every time we shift to reverse, so you can alter the power source of the camera to let said use the license plate light line, so when you switch on the park light, which light up the license plate together with the camera (remember to check the current rating), then switch to video mode on the UVO system/head display unit. You have to place some sort of switch so that your camera will not be always power when the license plate is light up at night time.

#18 ·
Yeah but does the camera merely getting power automatically make the head unit switch over to the camera input? Or wouldn't you have to figure out a way to manually switch inputs on the radio itself?

#20 ·
I am glad you asked. You see, back in the day, when modern man was figuring out a numerical value to place on things, for this example let's say temperature, they decided that zero was as low as it would get. But over time, man discovered that it could in fact get colder than zero. So now we have negative values.

So to answer your question, I am sitting at zero right now in terms of my care factor. However, there is certainly a possibility in the future that I could dip into the negatives.

Reactions: iduelfortaco
#21 ·
At this point I have a confession: I see the humour(sarcasm?) in Illjim69 comments. I have made the same sort of comments myself on this and other forums and opened myself for the same sort of criticism.

Sarcasm - the lowest form of wit . . . but still bloody funny to those that understand it!

Lighten up guys! Try to see the funny side to comments and not take them all as criticism. Jeez!:rolleyes: Surely this is supposed to be a place for us to share a little light-hearted fun as well as information about a common interest.

#22 ·
DING DING DING, and what do we have for today's winner!

And even if it were to be criticism, why does anyone really care what some random dude on the interwebz thinks?

#24 ·
Rear camera on all the time, good for spotting cops, especially those who would like to book you. and as far as illjim609874564 goes and his comments, go for it illjim.

You any relation to that Korean fella?

#25 ·
No relation. Although my ex-wife was half Korean, but that is about as close as it gets. ;)

#26 · (Edited)
I've thought about this mod as well, mainly because I tow a large dog trailer that completely blocks the rear window, hence making the rear view mirror useless.

I now have two more cameras, one inside the trailer (for checking on our dogs) the other mounted on the back of the trailer (to act as my electronic rear view mirror). Both video leads are fed inside the cabin to a 7" monitor with two video input lines. Power for the cameras comes from a switched seperate lead as I always drive with headlights on so I couldn't use the tail light lead.

I fooled around with the original rear camera to try to tap into that lead, whilst I got the video feed running okay, I didn't work out how to turn the monitor on in the Sportage's rear view mirror (hence why I now have a seperate 7").

The setup is pretty pedestrian (clumsy) as it is only used when we are pulling the big trailer, one day I might look at a more permament solution, but this will do for the time being.

I think it is a legitimate use of a rear camera when in forward motion, other might just think I'm mad but it's been a fun project, parts were pretty cheap, $20 odd for each camera, a little more for the monitor.

#28 ·
Reason why using the backup camera while not in Reverse would be nice

Hey!
I am a newbie here. I can actually think of several reasons the backup camera (BUC) would be handy when not in reverse, but the particular reason I am interested in this question is that it would be a help when parking between lines in a parking lot. When parking, it is sometimes difficult to see the lines directly in front of you while their extension might be visible in the BUC. Often in parking lots, the lines for a parking spot behind you line up with the ones in front of you, and seeing those behind you might help when lining up the one in front of you.

#30 ·
I’m 8 years late to the party, only reason I would want it on is because my wife sits in the back seat with my daughter on her car seat during road trips and I always move the rear view up and down while driving to see their faces. So it would be nice to use the back up camera as the rear view and the rear view to see them instead of having to turn my head

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.