Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has this mod been covered? I searched and didn't find what I needed, so here it goes:

has anyone figured out a way to turn on the backup camera while NOT in reverse?
I'm in an EX with the UVO system.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Yes, it is called a rear view mirror.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seriously? "rear view mirror" ? Why are people on forums so rude? Were you picked on in school? Im SURE these people wouldnt have the balls to do this in person. I know I would knock em down. That crap REALLY pisses me off.

Anyways I havent heard of it being covered myself but on aftermarket radio's there usually hooked up to the neutral safety switch or the back up lights. If you could remove the radio and "probe" the wires until you find the one that either gets hot or gets a ground when shifted into reverse. Then make sure to use a diode as not to make your reverse lights come one with your switch. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Heh, ILLJIM69 is like that. He's reasonable, if opinionated ;-)

There's a valid criticism that it's unnecessary, and is a distraction.

That said, I like the modification. I don't like things designed to override my decisions, as if something unthinking is smarter than me. Driving into a small parking stall can be helped by cameras, and a passenger can set GPS while in drive.

It usually is a wire going into the head unit, and usually only needs to be grounded, all as TooLoud74 says. I haven't seen cars where equipment relies on the head unit for lights and such (certainly possible), but I have seen it cause issues in GPS and speed-sensitive volume. I'd imagine the answer will be in this forum's history, and any audio shop will be able to do it cheaply.

Edit: there's also the criticism that an active driver-viewable video screen is likely illegal on public roads in any given area. Could be a little irresponsible of me to justify without mentioning that.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I should keep in mind that sarcasm doesn't flow well over the internet, they should make a font for that.

BTW - If you "knock em down" in real life, you are going to enjoy a lot of time in handcuffs and courtrooms. Try not to take things to serious. ;)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX, 2000 Jeep WJ
159 Posts
I personally can't effing stand ILLJIM69....but.....that first reply was epic :rofl:

·
Registered
2011 LX Sportage AWD Mineral/Silver; 2008 Suzuki Burgman 650
63 Posts
I am interested. Sorry to see the knuckle head reply about the mirror. Being able to use the backup camera in drive would be a nice feature to have if it can be done. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
In all seriousness, can someone please explain to me why it would be a "nice feature"? This goes right up there with the front view camera. Are people really that lazy that they can't be bothered to look in their mirrors? And no, the Sportage's rear visibility isn't that bad.

I mean, if you are going for a "gee whiz" factor, then I can understand that. I just honestly can't comprehend any realistic application that this would fit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In all seriousness, can someone please explain to me why it would be a "nice feature"? This goes right up there with the front view camera. Are people really that lazy that they can't be bothered to look in their mirrors? And no, the Sportage's rear visibility isn't that bad.

I mean, if you are going for a "gee whiz" factor, then I can understand that. I just honestly can't comprehend any realistic application that this would fit.
towing bike with a stand and a ramp. heard a weird noise at certain speed. faster than pulling over, over a rumble strip on the highway, I could have peeked through the camera to see if it was the chains, stand, ramp, or the straps. seeing as how the rear window is useless.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Hey, whatever floats your boat man, it's your money and your car, do what you like.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
479 Posts
When I was towing a trailer this weekend I thought on several occasions that it would be nice to enable the rear camera, you really can't see any part of a small trailer out the rear view mirror of the Sportage. Even the side mirrors don't really help except when taking a tight low speed corner.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Do you guys lack confidence in your hitching and securing abilities? Seriously, not being a wiseguy. Like I said, it is your car, do what you want, but you do realize how weird that sounds, right? How are you hooking things up that normal bumps in the road are scaring you to death?

I can't honestly recall a point where I ever though my boat or bikes were going to come unhitched. You have the ball hitch, plus the chains as a backup, I mean, if something were to go wrong, you will know it without needing to see it.

Anyway, good luck on the search, I wouldn't mind doing it just so I can get a better look at tailgaters.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
I know this has little to do with this topic,just my one time experience. I was driving my friends Forester once with aftermarket pioneer head unit. I was able to switch to back up camera from the settings while driving the car forward,it was pretty confusing i must say. To watch the road in front of you and glancing at the screen. Anyway,it was in dead of winter,mostly i saw plumes of smoke and water sprayed behind the car all enhanced by the headlights of the car behind me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you guys lack confidence in your hitching and securing abilities? Seriously, not being a wiseguy. Like I said, it is your car, do what you want, but you do realize how weird that sounds, right? How are you hooking things up that normal bumps in the road are scaring you to death?

I can't honestly recall a point where I ever though my boat or bikes were going to come unhitched. You have the ball hitch, plus the chains as a backup, I mean, if something were to go wrong, you will know it without needing to see it.

Anyway, good luck on the search, I wouldn't mind doing it just so I can get a better look at tailgaters.
well without being there, you don't know the sound it made, but it was enough that I did pull over to check it. turns out it was the stand shaking due to the wind, but only at certain speed. it made enough noise to alert me, so it was worth pulling over.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, it is called a rear view mirror.
I wouldn't mind doing it just so I can get a better look at tailgaters.
you realize this makes you look like a jackass now? bust my balls until I give a fairly legit explanation to my scenario. this is why forums are annoying. judging before understanding anyone else's point of view.

·
Registered
2012 2.0 CRDi Sportage TLX
67 Posts
We don't have the UVO system, but the logic is similar. The camera got power from the reverse light, so its power up every time we shift to reverse, so you can alter the power source of the camera to let said use the license plate light line, so when you switch on the park light, which light up the license plate together with the camera (remember to check the current rating), then switch to video mode on the UVO system/head display unit. You have to place some sort of switch so that your camera will not be always power when the license plate is light up at night time.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
you realize this makes you look like a jackass now? bust my balls until I give a fairly legit explanation to my scenario. this is why forums are annoying. judging before understanding anyone else's point of view.
I could care less how I come off. In my opinion it is a silly thing to "need", seeing as how people have been towing things for a very long time without cameras. You heard something disturbing, so you did the right thing and pulled over. Good work. Way easier than futzing around with your electronics and possibly causing an issue when you go in for warranty work.

I already said that it's your car, your time and money, so do whatever makes you happy. But this is a public forum and people should understand that not everyone is going to be as enthusiastic about their choices, questions, etc.

BTW - Careful with that line you're toeing as far as insults. It doesn't bother me, but the mods have already said differing opinions are fine, but name calling isn't. Just a FYI.

That said, good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
We don't have the UVO system, but the logic is similar. The camera got power from the reverse light, so its power up every time we shift to reverse, so you can alter the power source of the camera to let said use the license plate light line, so when you switch on the park light, which light up the license plate together with the camera (remember to check the current rating), then switch to video mode on the UVO system/head display unit. You have to place some sort of switch so that your camera will not be always power when the license plate is light up at night time.
Yeah but does the camera merely getting power automatically make the head unit switch over to the camera input? Or wouldn't you have to figure out a way to manually switch inputs on the radio itself?

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
Hey ILLJIM69: Just curious. How much less could you care? Or couldn't you care less?

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I am glad you asked. You see, back in the day, when modern man was figuring out a numerical value to place on things, for this example let's say temperature, they decided that zero was as low as it would get. But over time, man discovered that it could in fact get colder than zero. So now we have negative values.

So to answer your question, I am sitting at zero right now in terms of my care factor. However, there is certainly a possibility in the future that I could dip into the negatives.

Reactions: iduelfortaco
1 - 20 of 29 Posts