Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sportage (wife's)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after almost 3 months and 1,600 miles, the wife finally fingered a minor issue with our '13 Sportage . . . sometimes the backup camera won't turn off once the transmission is put in Drive. You can drive for 5 minutes (going forward), and the camera stays on and locks up the touchscreen. The only way to reset it, seems to be turning off and then restarting the vehicle. Has anyone else bumped into this issue?

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
2012 SX w/ UVO (no nav) here. my wife and i have started having this issue or others very much like it. first occurrence may have been 2 months ago. very intermittent, not really dependent on anything that i can tell (ie, it's not after sitting out cold all night or after quick stop and start up, etc).

mostly with us, if you turn on the car and then put it in gear, the screen will stay on the "start-up screen" for as long as i have left it (5 mins) and is non-responsive to touch or buttons. you have to put the car in park and actually turn it off and then restart the car. then when it starts up, it starts IMMEDIATELY into whatever was the last radio settings. it will get stuck in reverse camera, if you shift into reverse when the screen is stuck at start-up.

what's odd is we have owned our sportage for a year, and have seen some weird behavior here and there with the radio, mostly on start up.

we have noticed it taking FOREVER to start up, starting up normally, but then loading and responding very sluggishly. it has refused to go into reverse display and just shows starting screen and then when you shifted it into D it was fine. and now, this newest little wrinkle of joy.

i'm hoping that bringing it in to flash to the new updated software will clear out the bugs. it sort of worked better last time they updated it.

mostly i blame the continuing use by the industry of the horrible legacy product that windowsCE is. i mean seriously, WindowsCE? I have a SEGA Dreamcast from 1999 that is running the same base OS as my car console. Is it too hard to update to android or something? I guess it's the fact that windowsCE is free. At least pay for some quality developers! PLEASE!

KIA/Hyundai Execs, if you take ONE less all expenses paid "business" trip to Tahiti and used that money to pay for a GOOD developer, you would completely blow every other car console out of the water. Even the luxury brands couldn't compete with you! Come on!

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,523 Posts
Well, after almost 3 months and 1,600 miles, the wife finally fingered a minor issue with our '13 Sportage . . . sometimes the backup camera won't turn off once the transmission is put in Drive. You can drive for 5 minutes (going forward), and the camera stays on and locks up the touchscreen. The only way to reset it, seems to be turning off and then restarting the vehicle. Has anyone else bumped into this issue?
have you tried the reset button?

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
481 Posts
I've had my screen lock black a couple times after starting the car but have always been successfull getting it working by either turning the radio off or pressing buttons to change modes like sat/fm/maps.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage EX 1.7cc Diesel - Manual transmission
154 Posts
can you check if when the camera stays on in drive the reverse lights are on also? if so it might be a reversing/backing up switch problem

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
925 Posts
I've had my screen lock black a couple times after starting the car but have always been successfull getting it working by either turning the radio off or pressing buttons to change modes like sat/fm/maps.
+1..........

·
Registered
2013 Sportage (wife's)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, fellas. It hasn't happened to me yet, as my wife drives it 95% of the time. However, the three times that it happened to her, she tells me that she did try the power button for the stereo and changing the gear selector multiple times to no avail. If/when it happens to me, I'll investigate further and check to see if the reverse lights are on while driving forward. (that would be awkward)

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened on mine about 6 months ago. The problem eventually developed into a full blown problem with the console without being able to change radio stations etc - a software upgrade resolved it fully - no problems since.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage (wife's)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This happened on mine about 6 months ago. The problem eventually developed into a full blown problem with the console without being able to change radio stations etc - a software upgrade resolved it fully - no problems since.
Hmm, interesting. So far I haven't been able to recreate the problem myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts