Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Its appears that some cars may have (4) sensors, and some have (3) sensors!

1: CAN ANYONE CONFIRM WHICH IS OEM, and which may be AFTERMARKET?
2: CAN ANYONE CONFIRM HOW FAR DOWN THE BUMPER THE CENTER-LINE OF THE SENSOR IS?

System I'm putting in is aftermarket and I'm needing to know answer to #2 as I'd like to be able to retrofit the OEM sensors if I ever run across such. Without such info if the holes are drilled in the wrong place - the METAL CLIP that holds the OEM sensor might not engage the sensors properly.

]

gtd2000's 2007 Hyundai Entourage (Rebadged 2nd gen 2007 Kia Sedona) shows (4) sensors, spacing between sensors @ 40cm.

2010 Kia Sedona off youtube shows (3) sensors...

Which is strange as that would make spacing of the sensors @ 60cm apart (About 23.5 inches).

Documentation I have state sensors should spaced within a range of 30cm to 40cm. (11.75 to 15.750)

Please be sure to post what year/model car you have, and if your system is OEM, or Aftermarket.

Original opening post:

Have a request.

Anyone here have a Kia Sedona /Hyundai Entourage that has BACK-UP SENSORS on it?

Got a kit off Ebay and was wanting to VERIFY where to drill the holes in the bumper.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone would measure hole spacing as drilling the holes is a one-shot deal.

(Bumper skin is probably $800 to replace, $400 to paint.)[/B]

Please state in your response what YEAR car is, AND if OEM or not.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
Have a request.

Anyone here have a Kia Sedona /Hyundai Entourage that has BACK-UP SENSORS on it?

Got a kit off Ebay and was wanting to verify were to drill the holes in the bumper.:confused:

It would be greatly appreciated if someone would measure hole spacing as the bumper skin is probably $800 to replace, $400 to paint.:eek:

Please state in your response if OEM or not.

Pics are a plus.
You could probably get reasonable measurements by looking at my photo here - just line up with the marking on the grey area:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You could probably get reasonable measurements by looking at my photo here - just line up with the marking on the grey area:
Thanks for the pic, attached it as a attachment so thread remains useful to those in the future in case photobucket pic goes stale.;)

GTG2000_-_DSC_0013Large.jpg

Q: Could I sweet talk you into measuring how far down the sensors are, measuring from the top edge, AND measure spacing?

It looks like sensors are spaced (1) width of sensor from the top of bumper (grey sill plate) (About 1 inch down) to the TOP (not center-line) of the sensor. *

The outer sensors, the center line of the sensor appears to line up directly under grey /black when new bumper step /sill plate. Middle sensors are evenly spaced.

NOTE: Sensors off Ebay, Holesaw provided is 22mm, .085... OD of sensor is a little under a inch.

*In your response please state how you measured. (From top of bumper down to outer OD of sensor, OR top of bumper/sill to center-line.

Q: Is that a 2007 (Entourage)

In your pm you mentioned as the car is new to you and haven't got used to trusting sensors yet, that you have a tow bar (receiver?) and the tow hitch sticks out a good 6 inches or so.

Q: Does the system work correctly when the hitch is installed?

Q: Does it appear it's OEM? (The only pics I found on net that appear OEM use (3) sensors.) -pic in next post.

(I'm thinking when the hitch was added, it was added later as backup sensors were standard / became available 2008)

Q: Does system have a visual display?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's a screenshot off a video on a 2010 Kia Sedona off youtube.

I would assume it's OEM as all the aftermarket kits have (4) sensors.

I'm wondering:
A: If early cars had (4) sensors, and later as a cost cutting move they went to (3)... OR if there was a technical reason.
B: How (3) versus (4) sensors affects performance, and how this affects the system when you have a trailer hitch tongue and ball installed.

2010 Sedona backup sensor pic off youtube.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Got the wife to turn the car off long enough to pull the lower bumper cover and LOOK up into the bumper to see what is behind the bumper cover.
There is a channel of "free" space above the steel reinforcement appox 2"x2", (5cm x5cm).
(In various sections there is Styrofoam webbing.)

Bumper sill plate is right at 120cm (47.125 inches) wide.

From pic I'm estimating if:

The outer sensors are @ (0) and (120cm)

@ (4) sensors Hole spacing is:
40cm between sensors.

Assuming sensor is 22mm in diameter, and the sensor is mounted (1) width of the sensor towards the ground:

Measuring down by 22mm, and adding 1/2 the diameter would give the center-line of sensor is mounted 33mm.

gtd2000, can you confirm?

OEM system will have what looks like from factory service manual metal clips that hold sensor(s) in place.
(Ebay sensor has ABS body- with (4) nylon spring clips built into the body of the sensor)
OEM Backup system warning buzzer that makes the Ding, Ding, Ding, is mounted to the left of the IPM

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I went ahead and did the install.
Wife wanted it done TODAY...

Using the 22mm hole saw bit provided in the kit.

I drilled the holes 37mm from the painted edge of the bumper sill, to the centerline of the sensors.

Mounting the sensors @ 40cm apart.

Inner sensors mounted @ 20cm from center-line of car. (*better to do them at approx 23 to 24cm instead.)
Outer sensors mounted @ 60cm from center-line of car. (Center-line of sensor inline with edge of sill plate.)

Outer sensors= When drilling hole- free space behind hole.

(*Regarding the Inner sensors mounted @ 20cm from the center-line= Ran into a very dense web/ section of Styrofoam... Had to use a 3/4 18 inch wood bit to get thru that stuff. About 2 inches over there was a empty section, grrrr - Rough estimate on doing the center sensors would be to mount them 23cm to 24cm from center-line to take advantage of the empty section)

TIP: Sensor body OD is 21.875mm, drill is 22mm so it's a tight fit.
OD of body has (4) soft nylon wedges 90 degrees apart that protrude from sensor body.

When installing use a small flat blade screwdriver to depress wedges while your working sensor inward.... Sensor does not just "pop" in.
(Well it would if installing into a steel, vs plastic bumper)

NOTE that sensors are labeled A,B, C,D

The way these types of ultrasonic sensors work (OEM's as well) is one sensor of a pair (EG: A, B ) "transmits", the other receives. So A and B are mounted together. C and D ditto.

A= Outer edge, Left side of car
B= Inner, Left of centerline.
C= Inner, Right of centerline.
D=Outer edge, Right side of car.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some asked if the system works...

Works well. Happy with the investment.
Routed the wires in some wiring loom material from junkyard, fished it up left tail light, brought it into car at rear RAM module /Fuseblock.

Wire length of sensors is enough to allow positioning in that area.

Works the same way as the OEM system, with the same limitations:
EG:
Works best against hard surfaces that are in the same plane as the transmitters.
Angled surfaces reflect ultrasonic waves, Surfaces such as bushes -Absorb ultrasonic waves.
Items detected have to be a certain height, size.
Low items (such as curb) will be detected at say 1m, and at a closer range may "disappear" because curb is out of the detection range. (Too close)

So far as where to mount the display (That has a built in beeper)

Debating whether to to mount display front of car, or rear. Front is good if you have a backup camera, rear mounting makes more sense from a standpoint of where the "Beep, Beep, Beep" is coming from.

(OEM system has no display, and beeper box is mounted front of car, under dash, drivers side, bolted to IPM.)

TIP, when fishing wires thru wiring loam section behind taillight into interior of car- Most likely the LABELS that are on each sensor will disappear.... Don't freak out:

Shortest wire will be Right outer sensor, longest one will be Left outer sensor.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may be that the Entourage varies from the Sedona?

That 3-sensored Kia Sedona was listed as a 2010 model. might have gone to 3 sensors as a cost-cutting move... then again it might have not been a OEM setup.

Q: What year Entourage /trim level is the blue one?

By the color of the bumper sill /step plate it looks like a 2007/2008?.

(Sill/step should be BLACK)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts