Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My backup camera in my 2012 Kia Soul quit yesterday. When I put the car in revers it says " Warning check your surroundings for safety"
Anyone have any ideas.

Gas:

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
so you are saying there was no picture only text as that warning comes on the top of the screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@conwelpic yeah i think thats what they meant.

@gastube, sounds like your camera is dead and needs to be replaced if that's the case.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento Ex V6 AWD - 3.3L GDI V6 - 20" x 8.5" Menzari VM08 wheels, Yokohama GeolandarH/T-S275/45
255 Posts
My wife's 2013 Soul 4U has the same issue, when put into reverse, the screen shows the lines for judging distance, but the rest of the screen (background) is all black, nothing showing.

I've tried restarting the car, resetting the stereo (pushing the small pinhole button beside the volume knob, nothing works.

If it's not working again tomorrow, it'll be going in for repair/diagnosis since it's still under warranty, as well there is a recall to fix her sunroof as well, but just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with their back up camera also?

·
Registered
Gen 1 Vanilla Soul Shaker 1.6 crdi Auto 2013
1,498 Posts
Check your camera lense has not been damaged or obscured. Not mentioned on posts so not being cheeky.
Next to boot release so may have been damaged .
Jeff

·
Registered
2014 Sorento Ex V6 AWD - 3.3L GDI V6 - 20" x 8.5" Menzari VM08 wheels, Yokohama GeolandarH/T-S275/45
255 Posts
My wife's 2013 soul 4u still has a back up camera that doesn't work, just a black screen with the warning lines still showing.

I noticed also that the little side brake lights, the ones in between the top bigger lights/bulbs and the bottom ones are constantly burning out. I'll replace them, a couple weeks goes by, and I notice they're burned out again. I think there may be a wiring/short problem with her hatch or the wiring going to the rear of the vehicle.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
My wife's 2013 soul 4u still has a back up camera that doesn't work, just a black screen with the warning lines still showing.

I noticed also that the little side brake lights, the ones in between the top bigger lights/bulbs and the bottom ones are constantly burning out. I'll replace them, a couple weeks goes by, and I notice they're burned out again. I think there may be a wiring/short problem with her hatch or the wiring going to the rear of the vehicle.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?
not had the problem, but bulbs shouldn't be burning out that quick, so your thoughts sound like that could be the problem, its under warranty so get them to check it out. Not had to replace one bulb on my previous KIA in four years of ownership and not replaced any on my current Soul after 3.5 years of ownership.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah, the first time they blew wasn't until about a year of owning/driving it, since then, I've replace those little middle bulbs at least 3-4 times now, and that is odd. They definitely should not be going that fast, there must be some electrical issues going on, and maybe why the camera isn't working now either.

Will have to get them to check it out soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts