Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 honda civic, 2000 honda civic, 04 mitsu, 78 GMC Jimmy, 95 full size chevy.... 95 Kia Sportage 2.0
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for the basket cast Kia. Getting ready to set the timing belt and went to kiatechinfo for a little help but so far i cant find the answer. When i roll the cams (2.0 DOHC) and try to put the keyway's straight up they wont stay dead nut's straight up. They both want to rotate to the next resting point on the cam. I cant get then both to stay at 12:eek:o. They both want to sit slightly off to one side. Is that normal? I keep hearing that the timing marks on the cams are straight up but seem to remember reading something about how the marks sit slightly off. Can anyone help?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
Tension from the valve springs will pull the cams out of alignment. The belt normally holds the cams in the proper place when it's under tension.
There are makeshift "tools" you can make (a long bolt and nut with large fender washers on each end placed in between the cam gears). You tighten the nut to pull the washers closer together and they catch on the teeth of the cams and lock the two cams in the correct position(s).

Also look at my post in this thread about my reference to NAPA parts...
http://www.kia-forums.com/2g-1998-2001-sephia/70590-few-tips-timing-belt-changes.html
Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts