Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Soul 2.0+ Manual
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got the "back story" on the Kia's body style and design? Some cars have interesting stories and pedigrees behind them. For instance the Hyundai Elantra that preceded the current model was designed by the same team that designed some Saab models. (And you can see the resemblance.)

I'm head-over-heels in love with my new Soul down to and especially including the manual transmission and wanted one from the first time I saw the car. The body, especially from the rear with the "stance" and "back placement" of the rear wheels, looks French if that makes any sense.

Thank you.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
Does the Soul look like it has a pedigree? Look it up on Google.

Seems like a KIA version of the Toyota Scion/Rukus which preceded the Soul by some years.
that Toyota Rukus is actually called the Scion xB here in North America, but I have read that the xB and xD maybe dropped due to poor sales so they can concentrate on their more sportier versions.

The Scion xB came to the US in 2003 and sold 6,936 units that year, it peaked in 2006 with 61,306 and then in 2011 it dropped to 17,017

The Soul came to the US in 2009 as a 2010 model and sold 31,621 that year in 2010 it jumped to 67,110 and then even more to 102,267 for 2011 and it will pass that for 2012.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Anybody got the "back story" on the Kia's body style and design? Some cars have interesting stories and pedigrees behind them. For instance the Hyundai Elantra that preceded the current model was designed by the same team that designed some Saab models. (And you can see the resemblance.)

I'm head-over-heels in love with my new Soul down to and especially including the manual transmission and wanted one from the first time I saw the car. The body, especially from the rear with the "stance" and "back placement" of the rear wheels, looks French if that makes any sense.
I'm going off memory here, but the initial concept was based on a warthog with a back pack by the design studios in California. Peter Schreyer (chief designer for Kia Motors) joined Kia in 2006 coming from Audi and VW and was responsible for introducing the "Tiger Nose" grille which is now on all models. The Soul was one of his first models that he had a hand in designing but not as much as the more recent models.

Without Peter Schreyer, Kia would not have the sales success it is now enjoying. He is now recognized as one of the best automotive designers in the world.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to burst your bubble but the Soul is underpowered and ugly. My motorcycle is more powerful.

The Soul (such a stupid name) has an anemic engine that requires high rpm to achieve advertised horsepower. Kia = counterfeit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kia and their parent Hyundai copy everybody else, no original ideas. It's like buying the Foakleys on the street corner.

I'd be concerned if my favorite automaker couldn't come up with their own ideas.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
I hate to burst your bubble but the Soul is underpowered and ugly. My motorcycle is more powerful.

The Soul (such a stupid name) has an anemic engine that requires high rpm to achieve advertised horsepower. Kia = counterfeit.
so what do you drive besides a motorcycle?

What's comparing the power on a motorcycle to a car anything to do with it :confused:

I guess your logon name says it all :D

·
Registered
Soul Plus 2012
49 Posts
that Toyota Rukus is actually called the Scion xB here in North America, but I have read that the xB and xD maybe dropped due to poor sales so they can concentrate on their more sportier versions.

The Scion xB came to the US in 2003 and sold 6,936 units that year, it peaked in 2006 with 61,306 and then in 2011 it dropped to 17,017

The Soul came to the US in 2009 as a 2010 model and sold 31,621 that year in 2010 it jumped to 67,110 and then even more to 102,267 for 2011 and it will pass that for 2012.
Hi, where do you look for the sales figures of the Soul? I have only seen one other and I live in Melbourne a major city in AUSTRALIA. Regards Peter

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Hi, where do you look for the sales figures of the Soul? I have only seen one other and I live in Melbourne a major city in AUSTRALIA. Regards Peter
I can only provide info on sales for Canada and the US, I've no idea where you get sales figures for just Australia. I do have sales figures for "Asia Pacific" which would include Australia, but not totally clear on exactly what countries would be in that group.
Not surprised you don't see many Soul's as the "Asia Pacific" retail sales for 2012 on the Soul were only 932 units. For comparison in Canada they sold 7,560 and the US sold 115,778. Canada is way down vs 2011 but that's because the US took 25% of our production due to their heavy demand. However, the factory that builds them has increased their capacity by 120,000 units per year so hopefully that improve supply.
As with most Kia models its manufacturing capacity that is the problem as its basically stretched to the limit.

I do post these sales figures every month on another section of the forum site (just NA)
http://www.kia-forums.com/general-kia-non-model-specific-discussion/44786-kia-monthly-sales-25.html

·
Registered
kia soul ls 2012
18 Posts
another Aussie soul devotee here >the reason KIA souls are not seen much in Aussie land is because all you bastards in the left hand drive countries get precedence [according to the sales dudes]
we in Australia apparently have to wait until there are enough orders placed for RHD vehicles and then they do a run
i have also had no luck in finding actual sales figures for Australia
hardly any dealers in south east queensland have a soul to demonstrate either so no wonder there not flowing out the showroom floor eh ?

·
Registered
2013 Soul Base Auto 1.6 Titanium 68 Shelby GT500 68 Shelby GT350 72 Pantera 65 Cobra
9 Posts
another Aussie soul devotee here the reason KIA souls are not seen much in Aussie land is because all you bastards in the left hand drive countries get precedence
Boo Hoo.....:haha::haha::harhar:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul 2U AT silver
35 Posts
so what do you drive besides a motorcycle?

What's comparing the power on a motorcycle to a car anything to do with it :confused:

I guess your logon name says it all :D
Obviously has nothing better to do in life - but criticize.
Negative attitude = negative life style (which may equate to a loser).
We'll leave at that.

And hey, I like the 164 Hp that my Soul has.
It will definitely get up and go when I want it to.
Glad that I bought it.

Cheers. GotSoul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts