Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Rio 5dr SX Electric Blue
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because the fuel economy continues to get worse.. The last time I was told that if is continues beyond 5k miles to bring it in for a fuel consumption test. Well here we are at 59xx and a stellar 28 mpg this last fill so off to the dealer we go. After sitting around for two hours while they figure out what to do the service manager comes in to tell me they are going to give me a loaner because they cannot complete the job in one day. Fine, an issue. An hour later a second visit. After a call to Kia technical support it appears that my car is missing a computer management update so they are in the process of uploading this to the ECM and then we will see if that does anything.

I got the song and dance about the evils of ethanol and driving habits to which I had to hold back comments and reply that I cannot possibly drive any more conservative and the next option would be to tow the car in to work every day since that would be more fuel efficient. Really though, its not enough I am driving without the a/c unless its in the afternoon on the commute home where there is no other alternative unless they expect me to drive home in one of my wife's thongs. I don't launch the car, I have Eco on when applicable or cruise when I am on the highway and to boot I drive 80% of my overall commute on a highway with negligible traffic. I can't do much else..

Meh.. let's see if this hopefully does it because 29 mpg is pathetic.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX UVO
51 Posts
I'm here in Central FL, also. The best I've gotten is 32 mpg mostly highway driving and I'm driving like a granny, also. If I'm doing a lot of city driving, then I'd probably get around 28-29 like you. The trip computer is off by about 4mpg on my car. I've been keeping track of mpg since I got my car with an iPhone app. Can't say I'm super thrilled.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
I'm here in Central FL, also. The best I've gotten is 32 mpg mostly highway driving and I'm driving like a granny, also. If I'm doing a lot of city driving, then I'd probably get around 28-29 like you. The trip computer is off by about 4mpg on my car. I've been keeping track of mpg since I got my car with an iPhone app. Can't say I'm super thrilled.
I'm starting to think there are some units built with a defect in regard to FE. I read many posts by Rio and Accent owners their car have very poor mileage. And I read posts by other owners stating their Rio or Accent deliver very good mileage in the range of 35-45 MPG. So could it be possible some units are part of a "friday" afternoon batch? I'm startled at how "good mileage" and "bad mileage" are split in almost 50/50. For my part, I had a rough start with my Rio: 7.9L/100 but here are my number from the start. Almost exactly as the dealer said. Here are my numbers in L/100 and MPG as of Aug. 25. Note that I drive like a 97 y old grandma...Boring driving and absolutely no sporty. But the numbers are there for the taking. Anyway, I keep thinking Rios and Accents can be fuel misers but it's harder than with some other makes to achieve that goal.

Columns: Date, Company, Sale, Cost/Liter, Liters, Trip Km, Trip Miles, L/100km/ MPG, Eco Off or On

·
Registered
2012 Rio5
60 Posts
Because the fuel economy continues to get worse.. After a call to Kia technical support it appears that my car is missing a computer management update so they are in the process of uploading this to the ECM and then we will see if that does anything.
....let's see if this hopefully does it because 29 mpg is pathetic.
please give us a note on what the dealer wrote on your work order.

My mileage on my '12 is also 29... :eek:

·
Registered
14 Mazda 3 GX sport, 08 Nissn Quest SL, 10 Nissan Altima SL
28 Posts
Same here. I am in Calgary Canada and mine is giving me almost 9L/100 kms beside throwing carbon like crazy.. 4,800 Kms on it as of today. No help from the two dealers as they totally depend on the computer codes for guidance which are none so far

Please do post when your dealer updates the ECM and the outcome

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
I have 800 miles on my '13 Rio5. When I picked up my new car with 4 miles on the odometer I filled up the gas tank. 298 miles later I refilled it with 8 gallons. 323 miles later I filled it with 8.5 gallons. That's 37.6 mpg of mixed driving. I am careful on the gas pedal, and I coast down hills. I keep my foot off the gas pedal as much as possible, but I have exceeded 100mph several times :)

I like the stick shift, being able to skip gears is nice. I'm adding a cruise control unit soon since Kia didn't offer that with the manual trans.

Most people say that the mileage gets better as the engine breaks in, but my friend with an Elantra said his got worse... he's getting 28 and is not happy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts