Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend hit a curb/jumped a curb an when the wheel came down it broke the axle. well not really broke the axle since its not bent broke or damaged. It pulled the cv axle out of the shaft. Can I put the cv axle back in or is it best to just replace it? I'd think replace it but if i can use the old one then thatd be best. Typical problem with this year 2001 or why did it do that? I've included 2 pictures so you guys can see what i mean. Im not too experienced with kias so if you notice any other damage let me know.

·
Registered
73 mustang 77 corvette 04 hyundai accent 98 kia sephia
3 Posts
looks to me me , she snapped the ball joint off. going to need a new lower control arm, its bent. ball joints take a beating, but with a curb hit like that, they will break. i would replace the axle, advance auto has new ones for 70.00 bucks, visit a junk yard for the lower control arm, and install a new ball joint, better check the other side while your at it. all cars require maintinance not just kias. its a fairly easy fix

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia LS, 1998 Kia Sportage 4x4, 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4
1,252 Posts
what does the top of the strut tower in the engine bay look like? and the tie rod?

from those two pics it looks like you need a lower control arm, lower ball joint assembly, and possibly a stabilizer bar end link. can't tell if that's a bend in the strut or not but you're gonna need an alignment and they'd be able to tell if anything else is out when they get it on the rack after you replace the control arm/ball joint. i'd also look into a new axle because chances are that one is bent and it's gonna make a nasty vibration at 65 mph if it is.

a few more pictures would help though.

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
I would add replacement of the CV joint. It has broken seal (the rubber thing) so more than sure some sand got into it. No matter how hard you will try to clean it, some sand will stay and damage the CV within few 100s miles.

More than sure alignment will have to be done - replacement (like said above) of the lower control arm (NEW ONLY - not junk which may be stressed), ball joints, who knows if not struts (both sides), stabilizer link, check steering too. I would strongly suggest new or refurbished parts (from auto store) not used from junk, since we are talking about your safety!!

I just noticed the axle was pulled out from the transmission. It should be flushed to make sure all debris (sand, dust) are gone. Since it was pulled out we can hope it is not bent.

And the rim... more than likely is bent also. Rotate the wheel and you will see it. Tire? Maybe....
How about a fender? How does it look like?

I believe it happened because the lower ball joint was already ready to be replaced... It could have some loose...

EDIT
one more thing - the bearings could get damaged too

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a question about my axel I think it's broke. I also hit a curb and had to tow my car back to my house because the tire is rubbing on the wheel well I'll send some pictures

1 - 5 of 5 Posts