Kia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento EX (V6 3.3L AWD)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here's my situation. I bought this 2014 Kia Sorento EX AWD at 104,000km (64,622 miles) and I only noticed this winter that the AWD wasn't working. What would happen is I would slip on ice, traction control would come on and the AWD error light would come on for a few seconds then when I stopped slipping it would go away. The weird part is, when I engage the AWD lock, the lock light comes on but the AWD error light does not. The AWD error light only comes on when I slip on ice. From what I've read so far, these AWD couplers are known for crapping out at around that mileage. Do you guys think that would be the issue? I would think the AWD error light would come on any time the AWD tried to engage if the coupler was busted.

I haven't been able to jack the car up and see if all the wheels move when the AWD-lock is engaged, but I will try it when I have time and space for it.

On another note, I've just reached the service interval to change the transfer case / rear differential fluid, but I have to go on a 3,000 km drive tomorrow, I don't have the tools, and shops are quoting real stupid numbers for a job that takes 30 minutes or they just can't get me in this week.. I'm debating whether to even bother with the fluids right now? Car drives fine as it is. I've been debating to was just pulling the AWD fuse to prevent the AWD from even trying to engage... Would the transfer case and rear differential even engage at all if I do this? Maybe I can stop the gear boxes from any damage and worry about the fluid change once the major issue is fixed?

Any advice, or any ideas as to why my AWD is acting so dumb would be appreciated!

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD
577 Posts
3000 more km will not change a thing with the AWD disengaged, no real work will be brought to the rear diff.. Wear and tear does not just happen on a sudden just after the numbers....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3000 more km will not change a thing with the AWD disengaged, no real work will be brought to the rear diff.. Wear and tear does not just happen on a sudden just after the numbers....
Yeah I get that it's not like I'm going WAY over the service schedule on this trip, but honestly, if the AWD doesn't work anyways, I was thinking I might just wait until the end of summer to even worry about the 4WD components.

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD
577 Posts
WHere in Canada ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WHere in Canada ?
I travel a bunch from the Okanogan to Alberta. Spend most the time in BC though, where AWD is pretty much a must have in the winter where I live. Had a eventful winter trying to get around to say the least. Luckily, winter was pretty mild and my highway travel days happened to be on super clear days with all the roads plowed.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
AWD Coupler is a weak system attached to the rear diff. Most are on there 2nd unit as I am. The symptom normally felt when its going is a jerking in making turns from a stop (left/right at a stop light). The clutches etc inside either worn or some other internal failure. I don't know how much these cost parts but the dealer can swap them in 30 min. LOL

If you have never changed on your vehicle you are the luckiest of the lot!!! You may find you front wheels spin in wet weather with it now working since there isn't any push taking off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AWD Coupler is a weak system attached to the rear diff. Most are on there 2nd unit as I am. The symptom normally felt when its going is a jerking in making turns from a stop (left/right at a stop light). The clutches etc inside either worn or some other internal failure. I don't know how much these cost parts but the dealer can swap them in 30 min. LOL
Yeah that's the weird part too... nothing about the turning feels off and other then when slipping on ice, I never feel or notice anything strange. I'm starting to wonder if it's a faulty sensor? Maybe I'll check a couple more fuses...

If you have never changed on your vehicle you are the luckiest of the lot!!! You may find you front wheels spin in wet weather with it now working since there isn't any push taking off.
Honestly that's a club I was hoping not be a part of :p. It could have been changed though, I got it used at 104,000 km, and I heard of hem blowing a lot at around 60,000 - 80,000 KM. Maybe previous owner did it under warranty? Either way it's not working now so, meh, who cares.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
If you're not feeling jerking etc its either well and truly blown or something else. Check for codes and go for there. You're going to need it for the winter. If you planning on swapping it out yourself. Prep for fall at the latest. You don't want to be doing it when its very cold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're not feeling jerking etc its either well and truly blown or something else. Check for codes and go for there. You're going to need it for the winter. If you planning on swapping it out yourself. Prep for fall at the latest. You don't want to be doing it when its very cold.
Yeah, I might run it buy a dealer for a diagnosis... I'd want to make sure I'm not spending $1,000 and a couple hours of my time only to find out it's something else entirely.

In your opinion, do you think I should pull the AWD fuse for now until I go get it checked?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
Well as its new to you. I'd ensure the fuse is there and good (not blown). Manual and chart show it and I believe its a 40A one. Then have it checked out. Verifying should not take a skilled tech too long for the answer.

Good luck

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD
577 Posts
under the hood

Attachments

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD
577 Posts
A generic code reader will not show these codes. I think only a kia shop would do.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,097 Posts
Ahh no ?? I was thinking my ELM 327 with software Torque or others would. I saved the PDF. Oh well thanks anyway. The other checks are easy and not tools required anyway.

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD
577 Posts
OK..we are both thinking. ..and I was thinking of those hand held generic codes readers. It will be interesting to get to the facts. Nothing would be better to be able to read all these codes . I also have the ELM 327 but did not try advanced software.

·
Registered
Sorento 2.2CRDi (2013)
117 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts