Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento, 2.2 CRDI, AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
On my 2014 CRDI AWD Sorento (55k miles) I feel an unexpected jerk while reversing. Not when shifting into reverse, only while actually reversing. It doesn’t happen all the time, but it happens pretty often.
Everything seems to be working well while driving forward. Gears shifting fine with no special noises.

Changing the ATF fluid (which was pretty much black) fixed it for about 3 weeks.
I took it to a mechanic, who noticed a slack at the transfer and said that the ATF fluid is black again which might be a symptom of a worn transmission. The electronic scanner didn’t pick any error codes.

Can the ATF fluid become black after less than a month and approximately 2,000 miles?
Any thoughts of what the cause might be? I truly hope the transmission isn’t dead after only 55k miles.

Many thanks 🙏🏼

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
875 Posts
Drain and fill will still show black fluid. You likely get around 1/3 the fluid out. Need at least two drain and fills to make a difference. FYI

Although its not the test for it backing up its most likely the AWD coupler in front of the rear diff. You can unplug and see if it occurs still. Driving in an empty lot or from a stop left or right turn with some acceleration (little) will cause the faulty worn coupler to act up like that. sometimes circle 8's in a parking lot on and off the gas. It only when there is some power pushing the vehicle hence some accelleration. Oh, just noticed its a diesel. Oh well still can check if its the problem with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I’m not sure I follow the diesel comment.
Can the AWD coupler be fixed or rebuilt or does it has to be replaced?

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD, Suzuki 2011 SX4 AWD, ( 2000 KIA Sportage, junked)
565 Posts
... while actually reversing. It doesn’t happen all the time, but it happens pretty often.....
can you see a difference in straight line or when turning ?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
875 Posts
Thanks. I’m not sure I follow the diesel comment.
Can the AWD coupler be fixed or rebuilt or does it has to be replaced?
We don't have those vehicle here at all. Diesel, all gas engines.
No they cannot be rebuilt, replace only once defective.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn’t notice at first, but since you brought it up, it seems to be more intense while reversing and turning.
In any case, I understand it has nothing to do with the ATF fluid.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
875 Posts
Correct fluid is nothing to do with coupler issues. Those fail a lot on our gas engine AWD units. Both
Hyundai and Kia

If you see it doing in in forwards always in turning and may repeat in doing circle 8 giving it some gas during part of it you're pretty much going to need a new coupler. As I said you can unplug it as there is normally a plug on one side of the coupler. If the problem doesn't occur then you've also have that evidence.

I don't believe it does it going straight. I haven't heard of that before nor did mine do it straight driving. I had my replaced at 43,000km

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD, Suzuki 2011 SX4 AWD, ( 2000 KIA Sportage, junked)
565 Posts
...you can unplug it as there is normally a plug on one side of the coupler...
or simply pull out the 4wd fuse (fuse block under the hood) as shown

Reactions: rifdis and Tripplec
1 - 9 of 9 Posts