Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Soul 2.0+ Manual
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new '13 Soul (2.0) is getting 29 mpg in the city, 32 on the highway. It has 3,000 miles on it and I've check it twice, at around 1,000 miles and just recently. My question has to do with the average mpg reading on the instrument panel: it keeps increasing. It has been reading 27-27-28 mpg and is now reading 30 mpg. Anybody experience this? Is the engine getting more broken in and synching with the instrument panel to a greater degree or what?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My new '13 Soul (2.0) is getting 29 mpg in the city, 32 on the highway. It has 3,000 miles on it and I've check it twice, at around 1,000 miles and just recently. My question has to do with the average mpg reading on the instrument panel: it keeps increasing. It has been reading 27-27-28 mpg and is now reading 30 mpg. Anybody experience this? Is the engine getting more broken in and synching with the instrument panel to a greater degree or what?

Thanks.
Yes that is the most likely explanation. As motors are used they become more "broken in" and loosen up. Typically, mileage will slightly improve as the miles progress. Of course there are a lot of other influences too such as weather, driving conditions, driving style and so forth. Enjoy your improved mileage!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Are the 27, 27, 28, 30 readings the overall average or do you reset every so often? If it's the overall average, your recent consumption is probably better than 30.

Our KIA improved its fuel consumption by a couple of MPG over the first 2000 km.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
Are the 27, 27, 28, 30 readings the overall average or do you reset every so often? If it's the overall average, your recent consumption is probably better than 30.

Our KIA improved its fuel consumption by a couple of MPG over the first 2000 km.
Do not rely on the dash 'AVG MPG' - this is a hit / miss at best and the science behind how Kia calculates average is iffy... If you suspect the computer is out to lunch, reset it but pressing and holding the button while avg/mpg is displayed.

Better yet, if you want accurate readings use fuelly.com every time you fillrup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts