Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 4DR 5 SPEED 2WD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at other car forums, they all complain that their auto trans are breaking, i never hear anything bad about sportage auto trans---are they that good ???

·
Registered
07 Kia Sportage 2WD, V6, EX
88 Posts
have a 06 Kia Sportage FWD w/ 100900 miles. Never had a problem. But never drove it hard either

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Keep up on the trans oil and filter changes and you should be good for years. Although at 90K, I do feel a few harder shifts here and there. Time for my oil and filter change I think.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sportage AWD 2.7L
4 Posts
x2 on keeping an eye on fluid levels and staying on top of the fluid change intervals.

I just had to take my 2009 sportage in for tranny work (73,000 miles). It was shifting hard and making a little "chirp" when going from 2nd to 3rd. I was convinced that the transmission was toast. The shop changed the fluid/filter, and reset the adaptive shift points in the transmission control module (or whatever it's called). The problem is gone. I had never serviced the transmission before.

The tranny in the 2nd gen sportage is a Mitsubishi F4a42, which is also used by Hyudai, Mitsubishi, and Dodge. When I was researching this transmission across a wide range of vehicles (on various car forums), I couldn't find too many examples of this transmission failing. Hard shifting and "flairing" seemed to be the most common problems, but these were caused by the control module.

Hyundai Sonatas with this same F4a42 transmission had a technical service bulletin for hard shifting. The remedy was a software update for the TCM and resetting the adaptive shift points. I pretty sure that's exactly what they did to my Sportage.

The takehome message for me is that the Mitsubishi F4a42 transmission is mechanically reliable and has a solid track record in many vehicles going back to at least 1999. Just stay on top of the service intervals, and if shifting problems pop up, they are likely to be a sensor or control module issue.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio5; 2009 Kia Sportage LX; 2013 Hyandai Elantra, 2003 Cavalier
2 Posts
For whatever it's worth to those looking in on this type problem, we have an '09 EX 4WD which started shifting hard between 2nd and 3rd around 64K. I looked in on several threads here at the forum and took it to the dealer telling them that perhaps the shift points needed to be reset, etc. The dealer (Jim Butler, Chesterfield, MO) said there was no such thing as resetting shift points and all he could do was re-set the 'learning' software and see what happens. Well, nothing changed so he gave me a new transmission. Although it's 4WD, we rarely use it in all 4. We do live in a hilly area so that might have had something to do with the premature failure. We've owned 5 Kias (2 Rios, 2 Sportages, 1 Sorento) and have never had a transmission issue until now.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio5, manual, roll up windows. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L V8
343 Posts
Okay, for the first gen sportage, they're an Aisin A44de and are pretty much indestructible. Mine had 238k miles and was never touched, not even a pan drop. I towed with it, off roaded it (A LOT), and generally drove it like a maniac.

Not one issue the whole time...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts