Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all previous autos that I've driven (and according to the Sorento manual) you have to apply the footbrake before you can change from Park to Drive or Reverse. When I called my dealer to check this, the mechanic agreed with me and offered to check a few of XS Autos on the forecourt -- all of which moved out of Park without the footbrake being applied. He came to the conclusion that this was therefore okay. I'm still not convinced though. :unsure:

Any thoughts......?

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Putting it in gear without applying the brakes seems different. Maybe its becasue I have always done it becasue most vehicles are done that way. If the manual says to apply the brakes I would apply them. Dont want to void a warranty on it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
No UK spec Sorento has this function, my previous car was auto and didn't have this function, I've noticed Renaults do, and when I was working for Land Rover, the US spec vehicles have this function.
Your Sorento is normal!

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
That's not correct. From Kia's service manual:

"When the brake pedal is not depressed, push button of the shift lever at "P" position cannot be operated. (Shift lever cannot be shifted at the other positions from "P")."

You have a problem. The shift lock cable most likely just needs an adjustment, but I would take it to the stealership and have them fix it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
KiaMech...your right on the norht american branded Sorie's but I can say that this is normal or not on the UK spec'd versions...I still don't get the whole idea of driving on the right side either....but you guys probably think it's weird to drive on the left! that's a whole other great topic...like is the gas pedal still on the right of the brake pedal or is it the opposite too? But yeah your right you can not activate the push button on the shift lever without depressing the brake pedal therefore if this is doable then yeah there is a somehting screwy!

·
Registered
72 Posts
:p
Whooooo steady ..... It's you guys who drive on the wrong side of the road NOT us !!! And yes ... the gas ( accelorator ) pedal is still on the right hand side !
Cheers

Mark

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
:lol: I was sure to get something out of that...it's all in fun guys ;)...great to see alot of members here I'm not sure the count but I see alot of new handles...nice to met you Mark... See you around the block

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah UK spec Sorento's do not have the brake pedal "safety" device. It's just a case of start her up, stick in D and away ! Driven about 4 auto Sorento's over here and none of them had it.....but they were all oil burners so can't say about the V6 monster motor. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts