Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,
May someone advise me what to do in a gear box problem happened in my Borrego 2009..
i have been using the car since a year and a half without any issue. It happened only two weeks back that when I start the engine and move the selector to Drive, the engine is jerking hard, and the same thing is happening when i select Reverse. And when i drive the car on the D, the motion is very heavy because the transmission is not shifting at all and look like stuck in the 3rd or 4th gear. In this condition also i found that the cruise control is not working and the manual (+ - sport shift) is out of service.
After one or two hours, again I start the car and drive, it is normal and shifting correctly with everything working. Again after two or three days the same problem is taking place and so on. A handed the car to the official KIA dealer for check, after five days he told me you need to replace the whole transmission (approx 8,000 $ dollars) and I am now confused what to do..
Appreciate your advice..

·
Registered
Borrego 2009
74 Posts
How many miles on the transmission? Have you had the ATF changed?

The ZF transmissions used in these cars have a history, in previous series, of failure with the symptoms you describe.

You, or someone with the proper test equip should be able to retrieve OBDII codes that will tell you more about what the transmission knows about itself. Transmission codes cannot typically be read with a simple reader.

Ask the Kia dealer that did the test what the trouble codes were.

·
Registered
09 Borrego EX V8 2WD
103 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for interaction.
my V6 borrego is 70,000 miles now. KIA dealer here didn't agree to tell about the fault codes he got when he tested my car. Simply gave me a quotation for entirely new gear box (approx 8,000 USD). He only stated that there's pressure leak in my transmission (not oil leak). Tha't really mysterious. Other workshop mechanics told me there might be some dirty solenoid which caused the gear to be stuck in the 3rd..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help! My 2009 Mohave doesnt drive when on D(drive)

I have a 2009 KIA Mohave 37,000 km, auto-transmission and well maintained. Recently, I noticed that the vehicle would not move when the D gear is selected. The gear shifts well but the D (D-rive) gear does not respond. After 3 or 4 attempts at shifting back and forth it eventually responds. The situation appears to be deteriorating. Has anyone experienced this? What could be the solution?

·
Registered
1 Posts
kia sportge 1989 have not 4 shift .atecnic transmtion said that the in intake maniffeld make the problem.any one know the problem?

motti

·
Registered
GSXR1000, Aprilia SXV550, Aprilia RSV4 Factory
146 Posts
Please be advised that the V6 and the V8 Borrego's use entirely different transmissions. The ZF6 transmission (used with the V8) has the recall for improper shielding of the wiring between the TCU and the transmission.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you have 70000 miles the transmission should be covered under the 100K warranty. I have had three (3) transmissions put in, the last at 35,000 miles. They paid for them all, but I do not trust the vehicle anymore! V6 towing about 2000#.

·
Registered
09 Borrego EX V8 2WD
103 Posts
If you have 70000 miles the transmission should be covered under the 100K warranty. I have had three (3) transmissions put in, the last at 35,000 miles. They paid for them all, but I do not trust the vehicle anymore! V6 towing about 2000#.
The 100K warranty is only valid for the first owner, unless it was purchased as a CPO (certified pre-owned) from a Kia dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Ralfar,

I'm experiencing exactly the same intermitent problem with my Mohave 2009 V6 (80 000km). The transmission jerks when trying to put it in gear and it gets stuck in 3rd gear. Just curious to see if you found what was the problem with yours?

·
Registered
2009 Borrego v6 2wd
5 Posts
Anyone ever find a solution to this issue? Thanks for the info on the switch, i will check in mine which is having almost the identical issue. Where is this switch located?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
Never have been a proponent of chemical fixes, but in your situation..

First, change the ATF,
Then add AT-205..

Has cured internal pressure leaks and sticky solenoids..

... Philip

1 - 15 of 15 Posts