Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I have an 06 sorento sport 4wd model and just had my kia towed to a garage after my transmission hose burst. It was the short hose right behind the radiator near the bottom. Replaced hose twice with some old hydraulic hoses from some nearby farmers and replaced fluid and twice the hoses burst on me within minutes causing the clutch to disengage the gears and be dead on the roadside. Not sure what the problem is yet as I used hoses much stronger than the factory one and the clamps and fittings held tight. Everytime it burst right in the middle of the hose. Must be a pinch or block somewhere else I'm thinking. Only had this vehicle for less than a year and it was a rebuild after a crank bolt failure under warranty by the previous owner. Also, it was a really hot day and I was climbing a hill (not towing anything). Anyone else had this problem before?

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2.4 EX, 2005 Yamaha R1 (street) 2001 GSXR 1000 (track)
1,018 Posts
I've never seen this happen before on a Kia. There definitely could be a blockage somewhere. It may be worth it to disconnect the trans cooler and blow some shop air through there to check. Not too much pressure though, as shop air pressure will typically be more than the trans fluid pressure through the cooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Kia is at a garage but they are closed until monday so I will find out tomorrow hopefully. A mechanic buddy was thinking that it sounds like my pressure relief valve in the transmission pump is not regulating the pressure in the torque converter ( modulator valve).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So turns out that the replacement hose we used from the farmer was a fuel line hose that looked really strong but wasn't under pressure. They put on a 250# hose topped up the fluids and now its been working fine for a few days. Now I have two kinds of AT fluid in there is this going to be an issue? Seems to shift fine. My manual says use red1 fluid for the 5spd trans and I think we used all-purpose ATF in the field and shop put in dexIII/Mercon. I think I will have to flush it all and refill with Red 1.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
You will probably get away with all purpose for a top up, but I would not fill up with a substantial amount of Dex III, and run it for a long time, or it will probably damage the transmission in the long term. Yes I would be flushing out and refilling with Red 1.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Lesson here for everybody, use the correct parts the first time, and you save money, and time!
To the OP, yes, I would flush out the wrong ATF with the Kia red ATF.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts