Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Sportage A/T 4X4
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 A/T Sportage with 137K miles on it. The stock A/T oil cooler is a no fin tube type above the skid plate beneath the radiator inside the engine bay, while the 1998 Sportage model has a stacked plate type and located infront behind the grille which I think is more efficient. I'm planning to bypass the radiator and change it with the 98 Sportage A/T cooler. Will there be any transmission oil pressure issues? The gulf ranges 105F to 125F during summer months and I often pass through traffic a lot. The coolant boils everytime I turn off the engine but it doesn't overheat and I always check the coolant level with a 50/50 mix. I'm worried for the transmission to be damaged with the coolant boiling and it will also reduce the heat inside the radiator without the transmission oil passing through the tank. Anybody bypassed the radiator without having problems with the transmission?

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
In the USA, I have only seen the stacked type of cooler on a 1995. You might want to install a larger aftermarket cooler of if you have room, 2 of the Sportage finned types while bypassing the radiator and personally I would toss the tube because they can get smashed pretty easy when off-roading.

You shouldn't have any pressure issues as long as the coolers are not plugged.

The boiling of the coolant at shut down is a known problem with the Miata crowd (similar design engine block cooling circuit).:mad:

I have run a bypass similar to what Solomiata runs (the whole web page is a great read) but installed a valve that opens at 98C so that it won't boil over on shutdown but warms up normally. Parts cost me about $100.00 USD but it was worth it. :eek:_75:

Take pictures and keep us posted on your progress!

Do you do any off-road 4 wheeling over there?

UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings,

With those kind of temps., you may also want to consider converting over to an electric fan setup - Sporty motors run (somewhat) hotter vs. other motors (at least in my experience), with those ambient temps the additional airflow of an electric fan setup should really help.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2000 Sportage A/T 4X4
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
upyourkia

I'll try looking for larger aftermarket coolers here. Thanks for the Solomiata link, definitely a great read. Did you also reroute/bypass the return line for the throttle body with the heater return hose considering that it is inline with the stock return line to the mixing manifold? Love off-roading, only thing is we are restricted to 2 inch lift. I'll also try to post some pictures after modifications.

GottaCruise

Done that but didn't work for me. I even ordered the Procomp 16" fan, cost me $100 with shipping. Installed with the shroud, without shroud, with thermo switch without thermo switch and ran the fan at full speed but the engine will still heat-up. So I end-up returning to the clutch fan.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Send me an email, and I'll send you some pictures. It is pretty easy.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2000 Sportage A/T 4X4
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
email sent. Bypassed the throttle body cause i don't need it, it will just heat up the air going inside the engine.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Never received email. I'll try and take some pictures and PM them to you.
UPYOURKIA

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Was able to PM pictures to you.
UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
2000 Sportage A/T 4X4
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The old transmission cooler for the sportage is a stacked type which is located in the front behind the grille but on the later models they changed it to a tube type located underneath the radiator. What's the reason behind this? Was the old stacked type cooled the ATF and not reaching the right operating temperatures? Read about many articles about ATF cooling and it says that the radiator is ample enough to cool down the transmission.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I would guess that the tube was much less expensive to build.
But that is just a guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts