Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Picanto 2012, Montero 2012
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I drive an automatic 2012 picanto and I recently change my stock muffler to a free flow muffler, and the first thing I noticed is that the automatic change of gears is different from before. Before the free flow muffler was installed, the gears from 1st to 2nd normally change when the rev hits 2000 rpm, and this is with me normally stepping on the gas, not full throttle. But now I noticed that it was higher than 2000 rpm, sorry I forgot the rev when it changes now, but definitely much higher the 2k rpm. Is this normal when changing from stock muffler to free flow?

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
Some cars need a certain amount of "back pressure" to operate correctly - this may be what is causing the change?

In many cases all you will really do is spend money changing the way the car looks and sounds - you may even lose power as a result of this modification.

The only way to know for sure, is to do a dyno-test before and after the modification.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, that one i didn't do, the dyno-test, its quite expensive here in saudi arabia, but i will try to go there next month after i get my salary :D, i will be returning my stock muffler soon as it will be time for the periodic maintenance check for my pica, avoiding to get my warranty void :rolleyes: and while my stock muffler is installed i will return to the dyno test to compare the result of the first test.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
I'm not sure how many extra HP/PS you'll get out of a Picanto with a different muffler/back box but I'd not think it would really make much difference at all.

When I was younger we used to do all sorts of things with motorcycles by fitting race exhausts and free flow air filters. We all thought that they made things better - then one of the magazines did some real research and in pretty much all cases you were worse off than the stock condition - unless you were on a track and always at max revs..

Of course if you just want your car to look and sound better - then you've probably achieved that already :)

You have some crazy guys on motorcycle in Saudi Arabia! I have one of these motorcycles in Scotland:

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Changing the rear muffler shouldn't do much except change the exhaust note of the car, and this might encourage some spirited driving. I know that my first car (Mini Cooper 998), sounded a lot faster with a larger-diameter rear muffler (only 1 muffler on Minis).

I have vivid memories of driving through a large limestone cavern at 5500 RPM with considerable approval from the onlookers. Jenolan Caves, NSW, circa. 1965.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one of my friend told me this car sure sounds fast but really ain't going nowhere :D and i notice that i always tend to use the manual gear even thou may car is an automatic, i get to control when I'm going to shift it to gear, the sound of the car when it is in automatic sucks :D always going to eco mode and the gear wont make up its mind shifting hi then low making the sound of the car off note <_<. planning to put some k&n apollo filter just for aesthetic.

off topic guys, is the wind deflector/wind visor for the picanto 2010 can be fitted to a 2012 picanto? are the door dimension the same for both models?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts