Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leave my headlight switch in the 'automatic' position all the time. Unfortunately, it's a little darker outside than I care for before the headlights finally switch on. Also, California now has a law requiring headlights to be ON if it's raining enough to use the wipers. Complete cloud cover during the day is still too light for the headlights to turn on by themselves.

Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of the automatic headlight switch so they turn on when it's a little brighter outside?

Or, short of an answer to that question, does anyone know where the light sensor is located? Perhaps I could cover a portion of the sensor so the lights would turn on sooner.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Cant give you the excact location because I dont have that option on my Sorento. Check the dash, thats where the light sensor is usually located.

·
Registered
07' Sedona, 10' Forte Sed. SX
161 Posts
Oddly enough......my 2005 Sorento is perfect with this...but my 2003 Sedona does just the same thing you described. It's just a little too dark out before they kick on automatically. I don't know if there is a variance in the sensitivity of another sensor. I know the Kia Service Manager I questioned about this could give a" flying rat's rear end" about it. I didn't press it because I was afraid they might have some kid on his after-school job rip into my dashboard to figure it out !!! I thought of a possible fix if the sesors are similar. They sell a semi- transparent red tail-light repair tape in the auto stores. Maybe if you experiment with cutting a similar shape of this stuff and sticking it on the sensor all or part of the way, you might be able to make the lights kick on earlier. I'm going to try when the weather gets warmer. Let me know is it works...!?!??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interestingly enough, I was reading through the owner's manual, and it says "Don't place anything on the dash because you'll block the daylight sensor for the headlights." (or words to that effect.) There is even a drawing, showing a little sensor goodie protruding through the dash a few inches behind the very right edge of the defroster vent. However, other than a couple of screw covers at the ends of the defrost vents, my dashboard is featureless.

I've decided I'm going to pull the car up to my garage after dark with the lights on "automatic" setting, and get my halogen worklight out, and start shining it on various parts of the front of the car until the headlights go off. From there, I should be able to narrow down the beam and find the sensor location.

I did find a sensor in the center of the grille, right in front of the radiator, but I believe that is the ambient temp sensor.

I called the dealer where I bought the car and asked the service manager where the sensor was located. First, he felt obligated to quiz me about why I needed to know, then told me "how should I know where it is." I thought to myself that the answer to that question might be "because you're the service manager," but figured it wouldn't get me anywhere. I called Kia's 800# too, but they had no clue.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
IIRC, the sunlight sensor dome on the top of the dash is used for this function.
The UK doesn;t get auto lights on the Sorento, but the new sportage uses that sensor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in Texas and we don't have "yet" a law the mandates running the headlights when it's...sing it now... "cloudy all day" like the old cowby song, just kidding. But I digress, the light sensors are on the dash down low by the windshield. My EX has two of them. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I still must be missing something. I put the headlight switch into the automatic mode the other night, then walked around the front of the car with a worklight. It's apparent to me that the sensor is down near the passenger end of the defroster vent, but I still can't see a sensor. I had kind of assumed the sensor was mounted in the vent itself. My dash is featureless between the vent and the windshield.

Can you describe exactly where the sensor is? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, or looking for the wrong thing. I assumed it would be a small dome shaped object.

TIA for the help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi !
we don't have that problem in canada because i always leave my lights on ,so when i turn the engine off, and when i open the door they turn off alone. we have a law that we have no choice in canada that the headlight turn on every time that we turn the engine on. bye take care

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw a small black circle about 1" diameter to the right of the defroster vent (as you sit in the passenger seat looking forward.) Actually, there is one on the driver's side as well.

I had initially discounted this as being the sensor because I covered it up with a large piece of cardboard and the headlights did not come on.

Any thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts