Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got here and I have searched and read a few posts about this "feature" that no one seems to like. When you place the car in park it automatically unlocks the doors.

Seems like a security issue to me. Potential liability for Kia if someone becomes the victim of a crime because their doors opened and let someone in the car unintentionally. Perhaps they will change this on future models. But anyway it is here now and we have to deal with it so I have a few questions.

1. Have most people had to pay to get this changed?
2. Is there still no way for an owner to do this themselves?

TIA, glad I found this great resource for fellow Kia owners.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
I have this feature in my Soul, I think its great - a potential liability for Kia - that's silly. That could happen no matter what way its set up, you could say the same thing when that feature wasn't available - why didn't they provide the security?

If you want to stop briefly and you don't want the doors to unlock put in in NEUTRAL, also you can override it with the master control lock button on the drivers door it only takes a second.
A lot of people must live in rough areas, never once did I considered it a security problem, till I read some comments on various forums. Generally when I'm putting it in PARK, I'm getting out of the car anyway.

Sentinel - would be helpful to us for future conversations if you could fill out your location and drives profile on the left side as this is a worldwide forum and vehicles and not necessary equipped the same from country to country. - thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
575 Posts
Yes, I do agree that it is a great thing to have.

Also for me, it's not so much of a security issue. You can always hit the power door lock button (even without looking) right after you put your shift knob to park.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't really see any positive to this as when you pull the handle to get out of the car the door unlocks. As you do have to pull the handle to get out I don't see any practical benefit to having the door auto unlock. Especially ALL the doors. Why do you need the rear passenger side door to unlock every time you get out of your car?

On the down side however I see potential bad outcomes if someone surprises a person in a parking lot for example. If you place the car in park but are not getting out yet (such as if you are making a phone call or checking something) you could find someone in your face that you don't want there.

Sure you could hit the door lock button to lock it again but why create the need to do that where non existed? No other cars that I know of do that. And older people might not remember to do that ever time they park.

As a police officer myself I see someone getting someone in their car that they did not want and this leading to an unfortunate outcome.

However, to each his own. As I said the door unlocks when you pull the handle and being as how you have to pull the handle to get out I just don't see any practical upside or convenience to this "feature".

Be that as it may, I do see that others share my point of view and have had this "feature" disabled. It is a setting in the software so obviously Kia also sees that some may want this disabled. Just wondering if others have had to pay to get this disabled or if their dealer adjusted this for free for them as a courtesy.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
you have some valid points, but if the feature was disabled, then by the other token people might not remember to lock the doors in the first place and then when you stop and put it into PARK then the doors would be still open and then you still have the same situation.

There have been many vehicles in the past that have had this feature and when KIA didn't have it there was many complaints - I guess it makes it difficult for the manufacturer. Have you asked you dealer if it can be modified and if so will there be a charge?

I'll ask again - it would be helpful to us for future conversations if you could fill out your location and drives profile on the left side as this is a worldwide forum and vehicles and not necessary equipped the same from country to country. - thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gathering from your reply that I don't think we are talking about the same thing, so please allow me to clarify. I am NOT talking about the doors locking when I place the car in drive. That is a great idea and I love that. I'm only talking about the car UN-locking ALL the doors when you place the car in park. That's the only thing I don't like.

Maybe even if it only unlocked the drivers door and left the others locked I might be that against it. But it unlocks all the doors. A mom alone with kids in the car places the car in park and someone could open the rear passenger door and take out a kid. Or throw something in.

I'm kind of a private person so I'd rather give info on a post by post basis. I don't think where I am really pertains to this conversation but I am talking about a Sorento (which I'm guessing you gathered by the forum I posted this in) and it happens to be in the USA right now, but it is the feature that I am talking about; regardless of where the car is.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Read this thread: http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-s...ento-dealer-changable-options-door-locks.html . I know for sure that the auto lock/unlock features are available regardless of year/trim level. Some of the other features may not be.

It is at the dealers discretion as to if they will charge or not. Most people have got it done for free when in for other services.

It can only be changed through the dealer scan tool. No secret to do it otherwise.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
My dealer did for free during last oil change.

I agree, I have mine set NOT to unlock when put in park. I just pull the door handle and it opens without having to unlock. Other benefit is that children in the back won't jump out immediately when doors unlock.

I also had mine set to auto-lock but I think the dealer messed with it as it now auto-locks when I get up to 20km/hr...I had them set that. I'll ask him to set it back to auto-lock when placed in park. I think both settings can co-exist. If not, I'd prefer to have auto-lock when placed in park.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe even when it solely unlocked this drivers home and left though others locked I might be in which against the idea. But the idea unlocks the many doors. A mama alone along with kids inside car places the vehicle in playground and an individual could open a corner passenger home and get a baby.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts
I just got here and I have searched and read a few posts about this "feature" that no one seems to like. When you place the car in park it automatically unlocks the doors.

Seems like a security issue to me. Potential liability for Kia if someone becomes the victim of a crime because their doors opened and let someone in the car unintentionally. Perhaps they will change this on future models. But anyway it is here now and we have to deal with it so I have a few questions.

1. Have most people had to pay to get this changed?
2. Is there still no way for an owner to do this themselves?

TIA, glad I found this great resource for fellow Kia owners.

I like the feature!!!! If someone wants into the car a locked door wont stop them. All it takes is something hard enough to smash the window.
Why on earth would someone not wait until you were OUT of the car to attack you? You would be a much easier target.

There's no 'security issue' here.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi EX 4x4 AT Black Pearl
32 Posts
Maybe I didn't understood well : you said that when you put in Park the doors unlock. At my car the doors don't unlock in Park . If you stop the engine the doors unlock . It came like this from factory . My dealer told me that you can change this but they don't recommend.

Keep in touch.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX and 2005 Sorento ES
5 Posts
This thread is what brought me to this board and made me decide to sign up, so I suppose it's fitting to revive it. At least for the Sorento, things have changed for 2014. All these features, and lots more that used to be dealer-only changeable, are now able to be changed in the User Settings menu in the dashboard instrument cluster right in the heart of the spedo.

Unfortunately, I still have to go get mine manually changed by the dealer next week to disable the stupid auto unlock when in park. Every time I pull up to an ATM or a restaurant or pharmacy drive-thru I put the car in park so I can get out my wallet. I'm sure many other people do the same.

KIA is gonna be sorry one day after someone gets robbed and/or killed by a maniac who jumps in the back seat. I think for these kind of features they should review them with you when the vehicle is delivered at the dealership and make the changes right then. I didn't even realize what was happening until quite a while after I made my purchase, and then quite some time after that I realized the settings could be changed.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
This thread is what brought me to this board and made me decide to sign up, so I suppose it's fitting to revive it. At least for the Sorento, things have changed for 2014. All these features, and lots more that used to be dealer-only changeable, are now able to be changed in the User Settings menu in the dashboard instrument cluster right in the heart of the spedo.

Unfortunately, I still have to go get mine manually changed by the dealer next week to disable the stupid auto unlock when in park. Every time I pull up to an ATM or a restaurant or pharmacy drive-thru I put the car in park so I can get out my wallet. I'm sure many other people do the same.

KIA is gonna be sorry one day after someone gets robbed and/or killed by a maniac who jumps in the back seat. I think for these kind of features they should review them with you when the vehicle is delivered at the dealership and make the changes right then. I didn't even realize what was happening until quite a while after I made my purchase, and then quite some time after that I realized the settings could be changed.
While I was at the dealer today, I asked to have that "feature" removed. Now when I put it in park, nothing happens. (stays locked) The tech thought that it would also remove the automatic lock when you switched out of park. It did not. If you get in the vehicle and go from park, the doors lock.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
I don't know if some of the options are interdependent or not. I had the dealer change some options and when I got the car back another option had changed...maybe the mechanic didn't know what he was doing or maybe he skipped some options and they defaulted to some other value. This happened twice.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
I don't know if some of the options are interdependent or not. I had the dealer change some options and when I got the car back another option had changed...maybe the mechanic didn't know what he was doing or maybe he skipped some options and they defaulted to some other value. This happened twice.
Probably true, when I first talked to him he told me that lock and unlock were not independent of each other. Evidently they are, but given the number of different years and models, its easily understandable on the confusion. Besides that, ECM updates may change some of the options. (The service advisor told me that the door(s) are supposed to lock automatically @ 12 MPH! NOT.)
He told me that there was a new update for my ECM today...ok...have not noticed anything so far. I hope it was for the good.:lol:

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
There's an option so that doors lock above a certain speed. I believe there are two speeds to select from. You can have a look at the "undocumented" tips/hints/features thread. I posted directly from a Kia PDF on KGIS. Actually, I think I posted the PDF as well. When I went to my dealer, they were unaware of this. Had to show them the PDF.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX, 2012 Sportage SX, 1989 Taurus SHO
290 Posts
I had that feature disabled by the dealership on my 2012 Sorento. Doors don't unlock when I put the shifter in park after a drive and doors automatically lock when shifter is in drive or reverse.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6 AWD
354 Posts
I personally don't like this feature. First thought that came to me whilst parking the Sorento on my first test drive at the dealer was "this is not good if my Wife drives it in a panic situation where a mugger tries to harass her". I'm going to disable it.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
I personally don't like this feature. First thought that came to me whilst parking the Sorento on my first test drive at the dealer was "this is not good if my Wife drives it in a panic situation where a mugger tries to harass her". I'm going to disable it.
One very small thing. When done driving etc. car in park, inside handle opens your door, same for passenger, but keeps the back doors locked. IF you put stuff in the back seat, you have to remember to use the unlock button to unlock. Minor in my opinion. :cool:

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
575 Posts
So many worried users here scared of being jumped at in each and every location they put their car in park. Are your places out there really that bad?

Just have it changed it the dealer if you don't like this feature.
Some find this feature very helpful, others apparently differ.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts