Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my car has basically been trouble free for the entire duration of owning it (except the odd niggly thing which it seems everyone has experienced so I can't complain) but a couple of days ago, I shifted the car into reverse and reverse just didn't engage. It just rolled forward like in neutral. I thought I was imagining things so I stopped, then gave it a little more of a squirt but alas, made noise, didn't go anywhere.
Stopped and shifted back into park and it made a huge mechanical thunk sound but after that, reverse engaged.
Now that's obviously not normal but I'm just curious as to whether any other auto owners have experienced it? My car has 24000kms on the odo so it's a bit weird...

and you manual drivers be nice, ok? :p

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Can't say we have experienced anything like you described . . . get to the dealer nd have them pass an opinion. It's not right, so get them to FIX it!

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
that's something which is only going to get worse in time - check your coolant and make sure it doesn't look all 'milkshake' like. Does it flare of slip between gears when driving normally?

could just be a once off but it's a mechanical problem by the sound of it, or at least a linkage problem

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
I'd say don't even try to find out the problem by yourself. Doing so will get you nowhere anyhow. Do absolutely nothing and take immediately your Rio to your dealer. Again: check nothing do nothing cause it could void the warranty and who know's make the dealer think you tampered with the transmission. When a car is under warranty, always best to leave the problem as it is and have the dealer do its own diagnostic. Kia's warranty is purported to be good but there are stories when Kia tries to cut the corners. Good luck.:huh:

·
Registered
313 Posts
LOL yourself ozSLS. My comment was for the OP, not you. It ment don't bother to investigate. When a transmission cannot be put in reverse or shows problems to be put in reverse, in my school of thought, it's more than a coolant thing. But the OP can do what he thinks is best for him.:puzzled:

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
LOL yourself ozSLS. My comment was for the OP, not you. It ment don't bother to investigate. When a transmission cannot be put in reverse or shows problems to be put in reverse, in my school of thought, it's more than a coolant thing. But the OP can do what he thinks is best for him.:puzzled:
really no need to get all antsy, you really did come across quite rude there.

you're fine to have your viewpoint on things, i'm guessing you're not mechanically minded. Checking coolant in the way i advised it to check if the coolant has changed from factory standard colour (of which there are a few) to a chocolate milkshake type colour. This happens when a transmission cooler has failed and allowed transmission fluid to cross contaminate with the coolant. The oil mixes with the coolant and creates a somewhat frothy milkshake looking fluid. This can cause the transmission to flare, not hold gears, slip into neutral and so on. This is why i advised the OP to at the very least check their header tank fluid to gauge the consistency. At least then, there is a point to start from.

another possibility is low transmission fluid in the OP's car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's something which is only going to get worse in time - check your coolant and make sure it doesn't look all 'milkshake' like. Does it flare of slip between gears when driving normally?

could just be a once off but it's a mechanical problem by the sound of it, or at least a linkage problem
I'd say don't even try to find out the problem by yourself. Doing so will get you nowhere anyhow. Do absolutely nothing and take immediately your Rio to your dealer. Again: check nothing do nothing cause it could void the warranty and who know's make the dealer think you tampered with the transmission. When a car is under warranty, always best to leave the problem as it is and have the dealer do its own diagnostic. Kia's warranty is purported to be good but there are stories when Kia tries to cut the corners. Good luck.:huh:
I'm sending my car in next week anyway since I now have time to service it, but no I doesn't slip between gears, there's no shudder or anything like that.

I'll let the dealer know that this has happened and see if any others have been in with this issue. I have a feeling my Rio may be in the top few percent of higher km auto ones in Victoria so I shall see. If I end up needing a new transmission, I'll tell them to just slot a manual one in instead ;)
Oz, as much as I don't want to think that it's low trans fluid/coolant/mixed together, it could be a fair possibility. After all, the dealer didn't rectify the loud cabin noises and didn't rotate the tyres correctly as per the handbook... should be an interesting visit nevertheless...

thanks for the advice guys :)

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
no worries, could be many different things but i won't go into them all here - let us know how you go

ours just ticked over 27,000 a week ago but is a manual with other manual related issues lol - issues which will hopefully be sorted at the 30,000.

·
Registered
15 Posts
no worries, could be many different things but i won't go into them all here - let us know how you go

ours just ticked over 27,000 a week ago but is a manual with other manual related issues lol - issues which will hopefully be sorted at the 30,000.
Sorry to steal the thread, but I would love to know what issues you are having with the manual gearbox. I have just clocked 16000km's and I have no issues to date with the manual gearbox.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Sorry to steal the thread, but I would love to know what issues you are having with the manual gearbox. I have just clocked 16000km's and I have no issues to date with the manual gearbox.
I've seen people (including OZSLS) complain, not so much about the manual gearbox, but the clutch disengage switch for the cruise control. It modifies the accelerator response until the clutch pedal is fully released, which is somewhat later than actual take-up. Tends to make the progress a bit jerky. It would be unacceptable to me.

On a personal note, Our Cerato has just ticked over 33,000 km with not a single problem. Used 250 ml of oil in the last 8,000 km. Fuel consumption is 6.9 litres/100 km on the highway (100 km/h.). Oh yes, returning to the thread, auto trans is very good, with no troubles with reverse. I would be worried about non-engagement; a TCM reset might be an idea (disconnect/reconnect battery).

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I've seen people (including OZSLS) complain, not so much about the manual gearbox, but the clutch disengage switch for the cruise control. It modifies the accelerator response until the clutch pedal is fully released, which is somewhat later than actual take-up. Tends to make the progress a bit jerky. It would be unacceptable to me.
sometimes it bunny hops like a total piece of crap, other times it's not as bad, 1 time out of 100 take offs it's smooth. Sometimes the clutch literally takes up twice. Regardless of what's causing it, be it the switch or whatever, it's basically ruined our clutch in the process. It judders in reverse now and has a noise when pushing the pedal which i believe to be a valve in the master cylinder. Either way it's the worst manual car to take off in, i've ever driven.

have a read through my thread (link in sig)

·
Registered
313 Posts
really no need to get all antsy, you really did come across quite rude there.

you're fine to have your viewpoint on things, i'm guessing you're not mechanically minded. Checking coolant in the way i advised it to check if the coolant has changed from factory standard colour (of which there are a few) to a chocolate milkshake type colour. This happens when a transmission cooler has failed and allowed transmission fluid to cross contaminate with the coolant. The oil mixes with the coolant and creates a somewhat frothy milkshake looking fluid. This can cause the transmission to flare, not hold gears, slip into neutral and so on. This is why i advised the OP to at the very least check their header tank fluid to gauge the consistency. At least then, there is a point to start from.

another possibility is low transmission fluid in the OP's car.
Sorry my friend if I sounded rude, was not my intention to be or to look like. I've been told I can be rude some times. I guess it's true. Accept my apologies on this. I'll be an angel next times...my word. Though your "lol" made me feel like I was saying crap...

Now as for the OP problem, I was rather explaining how I react nowadays to mech problems and suggest him the same avenue: as soon as something looks weird, hello dealer. Lost the interest of trying to diagnose myself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was rather explaining how I react nowadays to mech problems and suggest him the same avenue: as soon as something looks weird, hello dealer. Lost the interest of trying to diagnose myself.
i've found in my past experience with dealer warranty work (other brands) that if you don't point them in the right direction they tend to come back with a 'i dunno' answer when you go to pick it up. "no codes came up" etc.
If they give me the spiel of 'nothing has come up' I'm just going to tell them to keep the car and fix it anyway because that shouldn't be happening... So far it hasn't done it again but I really don't want it TO happen again.

·
Registered
kia rio sedan
102 Posts
my car have almost 25k kms, and i havent got any problem, still i got the 1.4 gasoline, so maybe cause of that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts