Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the automatic tailgate fail to open at 15,900 miles. If you push the button, it unlocks the gate and then immediately re-locks it. If you catch it right after it unlocks you can raise it manually.
Dealer checked it and replaced the lifting mechanism under warranty. Interestingly, I had to sign the work order and agree that if the inspection showed that a mouse had chewed the wires, the warranty would not cover it.
Just an FYI: The vehicle is great, except for the ridiculous transmission. Upside: Took it on vacation (1700 miles round trip), very comfy with 4 adults and packed to gills with stuff, bicycle on the back. Got just under 25 mpg, not bad.

·
Registered
2021 kia Sorento sx prestige xLine Aruba Green black interior. With smart mirror.
84 Posts
Had the automatic tailgate fail to open at 15,900 miles. If you push the button, it unlocks the gate and then immediately re-locks it. If you catch it right after it unlocks you can raise it manually.
Dealer checked it and replaced the lifting mechanism under warranty. Interestingly, I had to sign the work order and agree that if the inspection showed that a mouse had chewed the wires, the warranty would not cover it.
Just an FYI: The vehicle is great, except for the ridiculous transmission. Upside: Took it on vacation (1700 miles round trip), very comfy with 4 adults and packed to gills with stuff, bicycle on the back. Got just under 25 mpg, not bad.
Your warranty manual, your contract with Kia, doesn't say you have to sign any waiver to pay, to get a warranty work started. How can they prove if a mouse chewed it in your possession, or if it was done in factory, shipping, storage or at the dealer prior to sale.
Don't ever sign any,, might have to pay document.
I suggest you find a differnt service department. Yours sounds Shadey.

·
Registered
2021 sorento SX gravity grey w. Burgundy
52 Posts
Mine started doing this this summer. Might be heat related, not sure. I heard that the seal can get sticky causing the tailgate to think there is an object stopping it from opening. I put silicone Lube on all the seals and area's the seal touches. Working now, will give it a few weeks and if it does it again I'll take it in to get fixed. Might be hard to replicate as it is random.

·
Registered
2022 Sorento PHEV on order 1/14/22
104 Posts
Signing something that says you are responsible for a diagnostic fee in the event that it is a non warranty item is standard.

·
Registered
2021 kia Sorento sx prestige xLine Aruba Green black interior. With smart mirror.
84 Posts
Signing something that says you are responsible for a diagnostic fee in the event that it is a non warranty item is standard.
I have purchased 21 new cars in my life time. I was never asked to sign a non warranty diagnosis paper. And I never heard of it untill now.

So I'm sorry i mis-spoke. Learn something new every day.
Glad you fixed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts