Kia Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Kia Sorento SX Prestige, FWD, Gravity Gray, 2.5L Turbo
14 Posts
I hate it, and as soon as I can find a wiring schematic I will put a jumper wire behind the switch to permanently disable it (did this on my F150). It generally works well, but I don't always remember to push the button to disable it, and there have been a few times where the delay to start the car was over 1 sec. which can be a safety issue.

Who knows when a wiring schematic will be available though, I still haven't been able to find out what oil filter this car needs.
Let us know if you discover a way to turn the engine stop/start OFF.
BTW, oil filter is Kia #26350-2S000

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
43 Posts
Hmm, so it looks like the 2.5L turbo engine still uses a drop in oil filter? I quickly looked under the hood for the oil filter compartment as that is what I was used to on my '17 Sorento V6, but I didn't see the oil filter. I guess I will have to look again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmm, so it looks like the 2.5L turbo engine still uses a drop in oil filter? I quickly looked under the hood for the oil filter compartment as that is what I was used to on my '17 Sorento V6, but I didn't see the oil filter. I guess I will have to look again.
It’s a cartridge filter inside a reusable plastic housing. There is a drain screw on the filter housing that you drain first, then remove the housing to replace the cartridge.
BTW, I am using Ceratec in mine.

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
43 Posts
Thanks. Appreciate the help. Need to find a cross reference sheet now for that Kia part #. I will stop hijacking this thread now so we can all get back to complaining about the auto start/stop and figure out how to permanently disable it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks. Appreciate the help. Need to find a cross reference sheet now for that Kia part #. I will stop hijacking this thread now so we can all get back to complaining about the auto start/stop and figure out how to permanently disable it.
I haven’t been able to find a cross referenced filter yet. They are so new, it will take time for other companies to start production. I bought 2 Kia filters from Kia online parts.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
28 Posts
I don’t mind the start stop feature. It’s really smooth. We traded in a 21 VW Atlas and that stop start sucked.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
759 Posts
I'm not an owner of a Sorento with this feature but do have some questions and observations. In Arizona, we're lucky to get 3 years out of a conventional starter battery, hoping for 4 with the AGM. This start/stop feature has to lead to earlier battery failure, even with an AGM battery. Then there is the starter - I'm sure people notice that UPS truck drivers are required to turn off their vehicles at every stop. Drivers tell me they replace the starter twice a year and it is a heavy duty unit made to do a lot of start/stop but still wears out that quickly so can't imagine it is going to be much better on a consumer vehicle.

Are the compressors now electrical instead of belt driven? I know my 2018 is still a belt drive and if the 2019-2020 are the same, explain to me how the compressor can run with the engine off. Even a few minutes of no A/C in Arizona is unacceptable from June-August and if you're in stop and go traffic, even worse. I could see the heat continuing to work for a few minutes with heat retained with the heater core or there could even be a small electric circulating pump that comes into play to continue to provide heat. But A/C kind of requires an operating compressor to continue to extract heat from the vehicle.

And finally, I'm sure some electrical engineer can figure out the hack for this when the wiring diagram becomes available. I remember when the Chevrolet Corvette started with the skip-shift programming on their manual transmission. Within weeks of that feature being released, there was a device on the market to override it and that device eventually became a bonafide commercial product. Chevrolet got to claim the mileage benefits to the EPA and the owner, for a relatively small price, got to immediately get rid of what was a very annoying feature. Suspect the same thing will happen with most auto start/stop vehicles as it is generally not a consumer friendly feature but helps the manufacturer reach their mpg hurdles.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,355 Posts
Not all manufactures allow you to turn this system off, and it varies model to model. Kia left this P.O.S. system off the Sportage (2019 at least).

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
10 Posts
I thought I'd hate this feature but I actually don't mind it at all. In palm springs last weekend with a full car I used "the button" but otherwise I've let it do it's thing. I don't think the a/c compressor is running when it shuts down... just my impression. Also, start/stop might be inhibited more when the climate control is in "auto" (and the cabin temp needs help) but I haven't fully tested that theory.

Derek

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S AWD
54 Posts
I love it and can't understand why others wouldn't. It saves gas. It is quiet and seamless when shutting off and on my car. I usually only notice it's working, or not, by watching the amber or green indicator lignt.
Disagree that it is quiet and seamless. I also disagree with your "on my car" qualifier, these cars are built on an assembly line from fungible parts, they're nearly identical, so whatever it does to my car it does to yours haha.

That being said, it makes a perceptible shudder on and off and I hate when you go off the brake and onto the gas too quickly. I make a habit in releasing my foot from the brake while the light is still red just to get it to kick back on. It's annoying.

I don't disagree with the concept, but I think Kia's system is too ham handed. Drive a Volvo or a BMW with a similar feature (those are the only other brands I've driven with the feature) and you'll notice the difference.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
69 Posts
Disagree that it is quiet and seamless. I also disagree with your "on my car" qualifier, these cars are built on an assembly line from fungible parts, they're nearly identical, so whatever it does to my car it does to yours haha.

That being said, it makes a perceptible shudder on and off and I hate when you go off the brake and onto the gas too quickly. I make a habit in releasing my foot from the brake while the light is still red just to get it to kick back on. It's annoying.

I don't disagree with the concept, but I think Kia's system is too ham handed. Drive a Volvo or a BMW with a similar feature (those are the only other brands I've driven with the feature) and you'll notice the difference.
Disagree all you want, it doesn't change my experience, or yours.
I said "my car" because I have AWD and while that may make no difference, it might.
I have found that using "Auto-Hold" does cause a rougher start. I just tried using Auto-Hold recently. Beyond that, my experience with ISG remains as stated.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts