Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was surprised I didn’t find anyone talking about this yet...
This whole auto-shut off feature when you come to a stop... is this a common thing on newer cars now? I have to say of all the features that I thought I would never get used to, after 1 month of driving, this is the ONE feature that still is kinda messing with me and I don’t think I like it.

“Idle Stop and Go” is the official name of the feature and I was honestly pretty annoyed to learn that it can’t be permanently turned off. If you don’t want to drive with this feature you have to press the button to shut it off manually each time you start the car.

What are your thoughts on the feature? Does is really save that much on gas? Apparently that’s the sole purpose of it.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Sorento SX XLINE Glacial White Pearl
70 Posts
It doesn't bother me at all. I'm used it and don't mess with it. If it doesn't work I take the vehicle in and get it fixed.

·
Registered
2021 Seltos SX Turbo
13 Posts
So I was surprised I didn’t find anyone talking about this yet...
This whole auto-shut off feature when you come to a stop... is this a common thing on newer cars now? I have to say of all the features that I thought I would never get used to, after 1 month of driving, this is the ONE feature that still is kinda messing with me and I don’t think I like it.

“Idle Stop and Go” is the official name of the feature and I was honestly pretty annoyed to learn that it can’t be permanently turned off. If you don’t want to drive with this feature you have to be press the button to shut it off manually each time you start the car.

What are your thoughts on the feature? Does is really save that much on gas? Apparently that’s the sole purpose of it.
I hate it. I have a month old 2021 Seltos SX Turbo (USA) and it has ISG. Yep you cannot disable it permanently.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
74 Posts
I love it and can't understand why others wouldn't. It saves gas. It is quiet and seamless when shutting off and on my car. I usually only notice it's working, or not, by watching the amber or green indicator lignt.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love it and can't understand why others wouldn't. It saves gas. It is quiet and seamless when shutting off and on my car. I usually only notice it's working, or not, by watching the amber or green indicator lignt.
Good point, I think the reasons WHY we like it or don’t are probably pretty important. Yeah I think if I didn’t notice it then I wouldn’t mind it, but there’s just too many times where I’m at a light, it turns green and I try to accelerate and it’s like the car struggles, then jerks forward. Not a smooth experience.

My other reason for not liking it is cause I live in Arizona and when I need air conditioning, I NEED AIR CONDITIONING (!). I didn’t expect it to turn off when it’s hot outside and I’m trying to cool down but it does, and when it shuts the engine off the AC goes with it.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Sorento SX XLINE Glacial White Pearl
70 Posts
Good point, I think the reasons WHY we like it or don’t are probably pretty important. Yeah I think if I didn’t notice it then I wouldn’t mind it, but there’s just too many times where I’m at a light, it turns green and I try to accelerate and it’s like the car struggles, then jerks forward. Not a smooth experience.

My other reason for not liking it is cause I live in Arizona and when I need air conditioning, I NEED AIR CONDITIONING (!). I didn’t expect it to turn off when it’s hot outside and I’m trying to cool down but it does, and when it shuts the engine off the AC goes with it.
I'm not sure how this one works in hot weather but my volvo's auto stop does not work in the Texas heat because the vehicle will not hit the cabin temperature requirement. My Grand Cherokee did work though.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,357 Posts
HATE! HATE! HATE!
There, I feel better now!
Just another thing invented and required by Big Brother Government to save Energy, but still cost you money in the long run!
Turning the engine off and on is very hard on the electrical system, battery, and engine.
More so than just leaving the darn thing alone at idle.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
64 Posts
A lot of different vehicles have this feature now, and on many of them you can disable it permanently by installing some module that 'tricks' the system into not fulfilling all of the conditions for ISG to be active. On some vehicles you can so a software change that inactivates ISG. Anything of this sort available for the Sorento?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX 2.5L TURBO AWD
2 Posts
We hate it. Also had it on our 2017 f150 and bought a programmer for the Ford to trick it to be off. I notice it every time I try to get going from a stop. As said before, not smooth at all.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for sharing your perspective everyone. Feels good to know there’s others who are experiencing/feeling the same thing, whichever side you’re on! Haha 😊

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX Prestige 2021
84 Posts
HATE! HATE! HATE!
There, I feel better now!
Just another thing invented and required by Big Brother Government to save Energy, but still cost you money in the long run!
Turning the engine off and on is very hard on the electrical system, battery, and engine.
More so than just leaving the darn thing alone at idle.
I read that these newer engines with this feature were (from all manufacturers) designed to handle the constant on/off. I still don’t trust the longevity of such a feature.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
49 Posts
We hate it. Also had it on our 2017 f150 and bought a programmer for the Ford to trick it to be off. I notice it every time I try to get going from a stop. As said before, not smooth at all.
This isn't directed to you or anyone in particular but it really isn't that hard to push a button before you drive off. I'm not a fan of it as there are a lot of stop signs where I live. I've gotten used to starting my car, putting on my seat belt and pressing that button to turn it off. I made it a point to do it and after 2 weeks I do it without noticing. Sometimes I forget and the car turns off 10 feet from my house but it is what it is. Also someone earlier in this forum said their aor conditioning turns off when the car turns off at a Ted light or stop sign. That might be something to get checked out because mine works when that system kicks in. Both heat and air continue working even when it turns off.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige Xline, Aruba Green Ext/Rust Int
18 Posts
This isn't directed to you or anyone in particular but it really isn't that hard to push a button before you drive off. I'm not a fan of it as there are a lot of stop signs where I live. I've gotten used to starting my car, putting on my seat belt and pressing that button to turn it off. I made it a point to do it and after 2 weeks I do it without noticing. Sometimes I forget and the car turns off 10 feet from my house but it is what it is. Also someone earlier in this forum said their aor conditioning turns off when the car turns off at a Ted light or stop sign. That might be something to get checked out because mine works when that system kicks in. Both heat and air continue working even when it turns off.
I have not used the A/C yet but I have noticed the heat fan does go down (although I believe not completely off) and definitely both the seat heat & ventilation both go down to the first line.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
49 Posts
I have not used the A/C yet but I have noticed the heat fan does go down (although I believe not completely off) and definitely both the seat heat & ventilation both go down to the first line.
Yeah it does go down to its lowest setting, clearly using the minimal amount of energy from the battery since the car is off. But it's never turned completely off so that's why I suggested that person get the car checked out. But the A/C will do the same as the heat.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige Xline, Aruba Green Ext/Rust Int
18 Posts
Yeah it does go down to its lowest setting, clearly using the minimal amount of energy from the battery since the car is off. But it's never turned completely off so that's why I suggested that person get the car checked out. But the A/C will do the same as the heat.
I will certainly have to get used to clicking that button then. No way will I deal with the A/C going to low during a hot 98% humidity/95 degree Philly summer day.

·
Registered
'21 Kia Sorento SX Prestige, FWD, Gravity Gray, 2.5L Turbo
17 Posts
I read an article which stated that the estimated savings in gasoline using the engine auto start/stop feature was about $50 per year. They estimated that replacement of the starter that performs this function would be about $400 - $500, and that may be a low estimate. Of course, if the car is under warranty, that should be covered. If out of warranty, I would definitely turn the auto start/stop feature off. Kia should have given us an on/off switch that maintains the feature in either position at the driver's choice even when the vehicle is turned off. (I leased my 21 Sorento for 3 years, so I'm not too worried about any maintenance or failure items as they should be covered under warranty. Yes, I've grown tired of keeping vehicles too long and paying for tires, brakes, batteries, and other repairs).

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
43 Posts
I hate it, and as soon as I can find a wiring schematic I will put a jumper wire behind the switch to permanently disable it (did this on my F150). It generally works well, but I don't always remember to push the button to disable it, and there have been a few times where the delay to start the car was over 1 sec. which can be a safety issue.

Who knows when a wiring schematic will be available though, I still haven't been able to find out what oil filter this car needs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts