Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX (auto)
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if there is a huge difference in things such as power (I know standard is typically faster but anyone seen the difference between both of them)

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
407 Posts
with the narrow power band, you end up doing a LOT of shifting... that was my reason for opting for auto, even though i generally prefer to row my own....

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX (auto)
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i noticed that the gear ratio seems a bit long towards 5th and 6th gear

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Top 3 gears of manual are quite close in ratio, so prepare to do a lot of shifting. Corresponding ratios of auto are more widely spaced as well as being (mostly) taller overall. Overall ratios of lowest 3 gears are about the same, so expect lower acceleration times to 100km/h for the auto, as is usual.

Cerato (Forte) transmissions and ratios are similar, and the manual is a little quicker to 100km/h as reported in various tests. However, you would need to punish the clutch to achieve this.

I'm very happy with the performance of KIA 6-speed autos. The car spends a lot of its time in 5th and 6th and returns good fuel economy because of the tall gearing. I think I would find rowing the manual along a bit of a chore, particlarly if you needed to change gears frequently just to maintain speed in everyday driving.

More powerful cars with 6-speed transmissions are less demanding. Adequate torque means that you can drive most places in 5th gear and only change gears when you want to really stir it along.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
My wife's 3 door auto is quite nice to drive around town in traffic, however I find it a bit sluggish through the first 3 gears. When I drive I tend to use the sport shift facility and it stirs along quite nicely - returns better fuel economy changing manually as well!
Just can't convince her to do the same. "I bought an auto so I didn't have to change gears!" Can't argue with that logic really.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
i drove a few auto's and bought the manual.. it was far more fun and noticeably quicker in a sprint. As far as the comments about 'expect to shift a lot' etc, well it is a manual.. but aside from having an extra cog up top, i don't shift gears noticeably more than i did in my last 5 speed manual. 4th is good for 50-80KM/h without revving too much until you know you won't need to slow down etc and put it in 6th. I quite often skip shift from second to 4th, 4th to 6th etc. It's really not a hard gearbox to use, at alll. if you want more fun, more get up and go, and the ability to tell the car what to do, not have it tell you, then get the manual! We drive it every day in bad peak-hour traffic and it's still a breeze.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts
I regularly skip shift gears. 1 - 2 -3 then sometimes straight to 6. 3rd gear has to be revved out quite a bit to do this. 4th and 5th gear are sometimes pointless

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I regularly skip shift gears. 1 - 2 -3 then sometimes straight to 6. 3rd gear has to be revved out quite a bit to do this. 4th and 5th gear are sometimes pointless
yes you would have to rev its guts out

it all depends on your geographical location as to what gears you can comfortably skip also. Most of our local stuff is choked up suburban roads so there's not much going above 4th or 5th until you can get to a freeway anyway.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Seems we have some manual transmission enthusiasts amongst us. I also used to prefer manual over the old-style autos, but modern autos do a very good job; in fact I would say that they make a better fist of changing gears than most drivers. At least that applies to the drivers that I hear swapping cogs as they go down our street; painfully slow changes and poor rev-matching is the order of the day.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
.. drivers that I hear swapping cogs as they go down our street; painfully slow changes and poor rev-matching is the order of the day.

guess we live on different roads. my rio routinely burns the tires off on the 1-2 shift... yeee hawwwww! :lol:

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Seems we have some manual transmission enthusiasts amongst us. I also used to prefer manual over the old-style autos, but modern autos do a very good job; in fact I would say that they make a better fist of changing gears than most drivers. At least that applies to the drivers that I hear swapping cogs as they go down our street; painfully slow changes and poor rev-matching is the order of the day.
i learnt on manuals when i was very young, and all our family cars were manual. It's just a system that gives you far better control of the car. Being able to hold gears, and revs at a certain point before lane changing etc and have the engine exactly where you want it can never be replicated by an auto, even the new great boxes. I had a car with the world renowned ZF 6 speed auto back in 2005 and it was a fantastic box with good response but it still doesn't match the manual. I've always loved matching revs even on very quick shifts, making the car do what i want not what it wants, and i'll always love manuals

they can get tiring in traffic sometimes but my rule is manual in small cars, auto in big.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Most people are not taught properly in how to drive manual cars. Many people are taught via the price tag; manual car cheaper so I will go with that one. They then get in the car and struggle with driving it until they learn. They learn the basics and thats it.

Then they will take their basics and apply it to every car they may get afterwards. They dont learn that every car is different.

With auto's you pay for the convenience. You pay in added weight, cost and a generic gear setting that is set up to suit the masses. What you do get is an easier driving experience, convenience and a mechanical shift will always be quicker than a human shift.

I use 3rd gear for overtaking on the freeways, you get the Kia in its higher end of its peak power band for when you shift into 4th you keep the momentum of having the shifts in the peak torque range. Result is you can do overtaking quicker and safer without having to go over the speed limit. Overtaking time is usually 2seconds as opposed to around 10-15seconds if you stay in 6th.

It depends on speed if the need to go into 3rd is there but the same can be had by going into 4th.

Kia can be very quick when it comes to overtaking but the downside is certain idiots will think you are racing them...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
7 Posts
manuals are much better if you realy enjoy driving. i learned about 3 years ago and will never go back. the rio is tiny and slow as compared to my last car (supercharged chevy cobalt with LOTS of goodies under the hood) but the fun is still there. i do mostly highway driving, but when i get to play in the city, an good downshift on a turn is quite thrilling.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I learnt on manuals when i was very young, and all our family cars were manual. It's just a system that gives you far better control of the car. Being able to hold gears, and revs at a certain point before lane changing etc and have the engine exactly where you want it can never be replicated by an auto, even the new great boxes.
Have you tried CVT? Manual mode on this system is lighting fast, but you hardly ever need it.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Have you tried CVT? Manual mode on this system is lighting fast, but you hardly ever need it.
i have tried a few cvt's and am not a fan from a 'driver' perspective. I can certainly appreciate the technology but as far as it feeling like you're one with the car, it doesn't do a thing for me. I like agricultural manuals :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts