Kia Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid EX
52 Posts
My Kia has an electric parking brake, no hand brake. And as I understand it Auto hold uses this brake .
I don't believe that is correct. Auto hold just applies regular brakes when you come to a full stop. However, the e-break automatically applies depending on the incline percentage

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Do Kia's not come with a handbrake? Last time I looked my one had a handbrake.
Why do you sit with your foot on the brake, when you can pull the handbrake on?
Works with an automatic too. Try it sometime. You will find that you dont burn out your brake lights and you dont cause cold spots on your front discs.
Pull the handbrake on and relax!
In case of the DCT, the clutches would constantly slip and burn out eventually if you used the handbrake to keep yourself stationary.

In Auto Hold, the clutches are completely disengaged and no slipping takes place. In general, the car is essentially in neutral while at a standstill with the brake pedal applied, and no gas applied.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
922 Posts
I don't believe that is correct. Auto hold just applies regular brakes when you come to a full stop. However, the e-break automatically applies depending on the incline percentage
That would be incorrect, AutoHold uses the E-Brake even on level ground.

·
Registered
Soon to be 2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green owner
92 Posts
My Kia has an electric parking brake, no hand brake. And as I understand it Auto hold uses this brake .
You took the words right off my fingertips. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Guess again. Apparently the folks that write the User's Manuals didn't get your memo.
View attachment 120249
I wonder if the brake system was changed between the 20 and 21 model years. I notice you’ve got a 2020 V6 SX.

As an experiment, I kept Auto Hold activated today. At one point, I opened the door while in D and at a standstill. When I did, I distinctly heard the whir of the EPB tensioner and the parking brake light come on the dash.

The 2021 manual also has some discussion on the transition/conversion from Auto Hold to EPB in certain conditions. Here, AH and EPB are treated as separate functions.

At the end of the day, I don’t think it matters as much how the system works as long as the car doesn’t unintentionally roll off into the sunset.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
206 Posts
Been using the auto hold more and more, and it's been working fine. I did notice that if I am stopped and the auto hold engages, and then I clicked into PARK...the E-brake engages as well.

Also, when I accelerate from an auto-hold stop, I can hear the groan of the brakes release and it sounds an awful lot like the e-brake.

Both items lead me to believe it's the e-brake in use for the auto hold.

Unrelated, kinda - My 64 Chevelle blew a brake line over the weekend. Drove it home riding the e-brake and yanking the release over...and over...and over. I am more familiar with e-brakes now that I care to admit.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
922 Posts
Hard to imagine they built a different system in for this function. Since they already have an electronically activated brake system, I can't imagine why they'd do it a different way for the auto-hold. However, as you say, it's a new model year, maybe those designers didn't get the memo that they already had a good way to implement that feature. :D

·
Registered
2021 Seltos S AWD, 2020 Rio S
619 Posts
That looks like that’s only the case if you shift to P while Auto-Hold is on.
That’s an OR list, not an AND list. Any one of those conditions cause the brake to engage. Not that you have to have all of those conditions.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts