Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When are we supposed to use the auto hold function? Is this meant for hilly cities?

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
206 Posts
When are we supposed to use the auto hold function? Is this meant for hilly cities?
Traffic I guess. If enabled, once you come to a complete stop the car will remain stopped without the use of the brake pedal. It takes off smoothly once you hit the gas again. In theory it sounds cool, but I tried it while stuck in some pretty gnarly traffic last weekend and not only did it not even work (which is quite dangerous) it wasn't all that helpful when it did work.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line, Aruba Green, Rust Interior
33 Posts
I use it for the drive through at a fast food restaurant. It's not a big deal though, only I use it if I remember. There's some convenience to not having to sit with your foot on the brake, and it worked fine when I used it, but otherwise I don't use it.

·
Registered
Soon to be 2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green owner
92 Posts
I used this feature on my 2015 Sonata all the time and it worked great. I'm wondering why it's not working correctly on the Sorento.
Hmmm...

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid EX
52 Posts
Mine works perfectly and I use it every day. Have to make sure the "auto hold" light turns from white to green before releasing the brake. The only thing I don't like is that I have to turn in on everytime I start my car

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
93 Posts
In theory it sounds cool, but I tried it while stuck in some pretty gnarly traffic last weekend and not only did it not even work (which is quite dangerous) it wasn't all that helpful when it did work.
Unless traffic is sitting for minutes at a time every time you need to stop, auto hold probably isn't the best tool for that job. Smart cruise control would probably work better there.

I'll give you a scenario where it was great to have auto hold: The incredibly long line I waited in (twice) at the drive-up covid vaccine clinic. The line of cars I was in snaked its way through a giant, completely packed parking lot, and every time we stopped it was for at least a minute. It was a lot less stressful to let the car brake for me, and then let me know when the car ahead of me was moving away.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Auto hold works fine when you remember it is auto hold not auto stop. You still have to use the brake each and every time you need to stop

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
84 Posts
Traffic I guess. If enabled, once you come to a complete stop the car will remain stopped without the use of the brake pedal. It takes off smoothly once you hit the gas again. In theory it sounds cool, but I tried it while stuck in some pretty gnarly traffic last weekend and not only did it not even work (which is quite dangerous) it wasn't all that helpful when it did work.
o_O

·
Registered
‘21 Sorento Hybrid EX
2 Posts
This is a feature I didn’t realize the car had but has become one of my favorite things about it. Living in Los a Angeles, I use it every time I go out. Smart Cruise is great too, but it’s not always practical. I definitely wish there was a way to have Auto Hold default to the on position.

·
Registered
2021 Seltos S AWD, 2020 Rio S
619 Posts
I use it in my wife’s car all the time (Mitsubishi Outlander). Why sit there holding the brake at a red light? Let the car do it for you.

You do need to enable each time because the function is locked to the driver’s seat belt. It cancels when unbuckled. Cause otherwise some idiot would engage it and then get out of the car, leaving it running and in gear.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento
2 Posts
I use mine everywhere. I haven’t had any issues with it not working. When you come to a complete stop, the auto hold turns green to let you know it engaged. If it remains white, it is not engaged.

·
Registered
Kia Niro 4
5 Posts
All the time, as soon as I start the car I use Auto Hold and every time I stop the brake is applied, no brainer for me.

My only issue with it is it keeps the brake lights on, so if I'm at the lights for any length of time I'll pull on the hand brake.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
10 Posts
I live in West Virginia and depending on traffic you can get caught on a steep hill waiting to move up so it’s a nice feature to have there. Never had an issue other than like others saying you have to enable it each drive.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
206 Posts
All the time, as soon as I start the car I use Auto Hold and every time I stop the brake is applied, no brainer for me.

My only issue with it is it keeps the brake lights on, so if I'm at the lights for any length of time I'll pull on the hand brake.
As it should. The brakes are being applied, you're at a stop, basic safety.

·
Registered
Kia Niro 4
5 Posts
I live in West Virginia and depending on traffic you can get caught on a steep hill waiting to move up so it’s a nice feature to have there. Never had an issue other than like others saying you have to enable it each drive.
Agreed, would like it to be auto on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use it for the drive through at a fast food restaurant. It's not a big deal though, only I use it if I remember. There's some convenience to not having to sit with your foot on the brake, and it worked fine when I used it, but otherwise I don't use it.
Do Kia's not come with a handbrake? Last time I looked my one had a handbrake.
Why do you sit with your foot on the brake, when you can pull the handbrake on?
Works with an automatic too. Try it sometime. You will find that you dont burn out your brake lights and you dont cause cold spots on your front discs.
Pull the handbrake on and relax!

·
Registered
Kia Niro 4
5 Posts
Do Kia's not come with a handbrake? Last time I looked my one had a handbrake.
Why do you sit with your foot on the brake, when you can pull the handbrake on?
Works with an automatic too. Try it sometime. You will find that you dont burn out your brake lights and you dont cause cold spots on your front discs.
Pull the handbrake on and relax!
Too much like a workout Cleaver, Auto Hold does it for you, brake light bulb are cheap as chips, of course some are LEDs so shouldn't burn out, and I wonder if cold spots are more an issue on performance car.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My Kia has an electric parking brake, no hand brake. And as I understand it Auto hold uses this brake .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts